Is Memphis worth a visit?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Nicky

Is Memphis worth a visit?

Am travelling to Atlanta in May and am hoping to drive to Memphis and then down through Mississippi to New orleans - I don't live in the US and would like to know if this plan sounds good or whether you can recommend any other destinations. Thanks!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:38 AM
wintertraveler

It's been a very long time for me but I traveled once down the river to Memphis on a barge tug boat (different story) - anyway we stayed overnight and I remember a pretty lively downtown riverfront setting with lots of bars, restaurants, shops. Probably a good bet for some Americana. Nashville is the "coolest" TN town I think - then again I haven't been there in years either and it's out of your way. There may be some neat plantation homes and other southern sites along your MS route if you check. If you like country western music both Memphis and Nashville could be interesting I'd suppose.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:00 AM
kdr

Memphis is absolutely worth a visit if you love (or are willing to try) eating wonderful barbecue, listening to great blues music, and visiting Elvis' famous home-Graceland. Memphis is a wonderful southern town, well deserving of a several day stop-over. Having been to both Memphis and Nashville, I would prefer Memphis, unless you really like country music which would be a reason to pick Nashville.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:01 AM
lisa

I think so, but I'd agree that you might want to combine it with a trip to Nashville on your way to New Orleans(think of it as an American music tour).

The Peabody hotel with its famous ducks, fabulous barbecue, the mighty Mississippi (and Mud Island with its scale model), Graceland (take it down on one knee!), Sun Studios, Stax Records, did I mention barbecue???, etc.

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:11 AM
t

ttt