West Memphis info

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Memphis info

We're traveling to Dallas from Detroit over Easter weekend. My uncle recommended we stop in W Memphis to rest and then continue on. Since we'll have been on the road for about 10 hours, I'm not too interested in the sights....just is it safe, are there any hotels in that area that someone would recommend w/ restaurants close by? Thanks for all help!!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:34 AM

Why not stay in downtown Memphis? It's closer to Detroit and there are lots of nice hotels and good restaurants there. I assume you know that West Memphis and Memphis aren't connected in any way...they're in different states.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:38 AM
iceeu2

West Memphis is just across the bridge from Memphis. West Memphis is in Arkansas and Memphis is in Tennessee.

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Memphis and West Memphis are in different states and about 10 miles from each other across the Mississippi River. West Memphis has all the major hotel chains in one big grouping, and their are Micky D's (McDonald's) Burger King, Hardee's, Waffle House type restaurants. It is in the vicinity of the I 40-55 split and very congested, as is downtown Memphis. In West Memphis there is always alot of road construction and the signs are not very clear. Why are you going thru W. Memphis? If you take the I 35 outof Dallas to OK City then take the Turner Tpk to I 44 to St. Louis then I 70 to Dayton then I 75 to Detroit you will knock off about 100 miles and I 30 hru SW Ark is awful. The Tpk is a toll road BUT your speed is allowed to be faster and less truckers, better road. Good luck.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I knew that they are in different states. I only considered it because of advice of relative. Also, don't really want to pay downtown hotel prices. We're going to depart early AM next morning and are thinking it would be easier to be past Memphis as we get started? True or no? How's AM rush hour around Memphis? And, if you think it makes more sense to stay downtown, can you recommend a hotel for around $60-$70 a night. Again, not truly interested in much touristy stuff. We'll probably just be looking for a decent restaurant, maybe a relaxing cocktail and a bed! Thanks for help!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Aknurse,
We're actually leaving from NE of Detroit, Howell. Not near I-75. Was advised to take the route through Effingham Ill and through Memphis. This is going TO Dallas not from. Not sure of all the highways exactly, but we were going to take 30 into Dallas.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:28 AM

Sorry read it incorrectly..Please AK is the abbreviation for Alaska (I wish I was there) Arkansas is AR. ANY rush hour in Memphis is bad. If you want to stop outside Memphis try Germantown or Cordova. My brother owns a towing company there and rush hour is their busy times (DUH)It has been my experience that any city is rush hour like between 630-930AM entering city and 330-630PM leaving city. I have sat in Memphis traffic for 2 hrs and gone 3/10ths of a mile, however you can use the HOV lanes is you are not alone.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

lol DUH!! You can tell that I'm just fantastic w/ state abbreviations!!! Which would you choose over Germantown or Cordova? Or is it the same either way? As far as restaurants we would like to have something "local" and avoid the big chains if possible....can we do that there or should we just suck it up and stay in Memphis?
ARnurse ;-) thanks for all of your help!