Search

Baseball seats

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baseball seats

Hi

I'm coming to the USA for my Honeymoon in July - we are desperate to see a Baseball game. In Florida so looking to see Tampa Bay at home to the Yankees.
Now - where should we sit. Money not really a problem as it's our honeymoon.
Looked at ticket prices here...
http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NA...ingle_game.jsp
and it seems that 'Field Box' is the best (most expensive). But looking at the seating plan here...
http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NA...ng_pricing.jsp
Field Box seems quite far away - I don't know much about Baseball though so please advise and where is best to sit.

Many thanks

Martin
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:48 AM
GoTravel

christm, didn't look at the seating chart but if there are any indoor box seats available, purchase quickly.

Florida in July is miserable. The temps can stay into the 90s long after the sun has set.

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:47 AM

Don't worry about the heat--Tampa plays indoors at Tropicana Field.
Seats for baseball depend on the stadium. In some stadium, seats are close to field, while in others, there is more room between seats and the field.
A lot of the best field boxes are taken by season tickets, so just get the best you can find. (SHouldn't be too hard as Tampa does not draw big crowds, and can probably even move into better seats once you are there).
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The best seats are generally the ones closest to home plate, at the bottom of the diamond. Next-best in most people's minds are seats along one of the "infield" base-lines, between the home plate and first or third bases (second base being the one opposite home plate.) If the best of these - meaning the ones closest to the field - are taken, usually by season ticket holders, then most folks would opt for going up before going out - that is, staying as close to home as possible regardless of altitude, rather than going farther out into the outfields and seeing the action from less favorable angles or at a greater distance. In most modern fields, especially indoor ones like Tropicana, many seats are very good, even those farther from home; invest in a cheap pair of binoculars if distance is too great a concern.

Tampa Bay does not typically draw big crowds, but the exception is relevant to you. The Yankees typically sell out where ever they go, and TB's feisty coach, himself a former Yankee, is an arch-competitor nowadays. Don't expect that you'll be able to get good seats on short notice, even at the Trop. Look on Ebay or other outlets, or online at Ticketmaster.com, and buy your tickets as soon as your dates are firm.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:20 AM

Non-Americans going to the game on their honeymoon is cool enough that you might write the Devil Rays explaining the circumstance and asking for assistance picking/getting the best possible seats for your new bride.

Keith
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:59 AM

That stadium is awful. It has as much allure as a tin can -- actually feels very much like one. Parking is very confusing as well around the stadium.

But the Rays are getting better and better -- I'm predicting this might be the year of the Rays, so get your tickets now before my prediction comes true.

And congratulations to you and your bride.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:08 AM
GoTravel

I am a complete moron today and need to stop giving travel advice.

I knew the Devil Rays played indoor in Tampa.

Keith, excellent idea!

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:17 AM

Actually, GoTravel, the Devil Rays play indoors in St. Pete at Tropicana Field. The Yankees play outdoors at Legends Field in Tampa for spring training. Just to clarify...
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 12:31 AM
jwc

The seats closest to home plate are not the best because you will be looking through a screen which is pretty annoying. What you want are seats to either the left or right side of home plate that are not behind the screen. I am not familiar with Tampa's stadium though I do not believe that it is a baseball only park. In the baseball only parks, such as Pac Bell in San Francisco, the seats are much better for viewing the game as they are angled for baseball.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Great idea about contacting the Devil Rays - I've sent off an email.

On another note - they have a double header against the Yankees - 1st game July 19 at 7.15, 2nd game July 20 at 2.15.

I was thinking about going to the afternoon game (we are staying in Naples so was thinking I'd prefer not to be driving back at night after a game - though I don't know how easy a journey it is). However was just wondering your advice - is there an 'aura' about a night game?
I'm speaking from the UK point of view on Soccer - where night games are considered a bit more 'special' than day games. Just wondering about Baseball.

Many thanks

Martin
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 02:37 AM
jenifer

In most cases I would say go to the night game, but if it's an indoor field, I think you'd lose that special "aura" anyway, and the afternoon game would normally be hot anywhere in July, but again, not indoors.

So, just picking the game that best fits your schedule sounds like a good idea!

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 03:09 AM

If you want to get tickets to the Yankees-Devil Rays game, you need to get them as soon as they are available, as those games sell out. I go to the games often, and my husband works at the games. The seats above either dugout are very good seats, if there are any available. There is a section above those seats, though, that are sort of under an "overhang," and I sat in those once and did not like them at all. I will look at the seating map and let you know what seats those are, and you should try to avoid those. You can probably go to the Devil Rays website and see the seating online to give you a better idea, if you haven't done that already. Tropicana Field is a baseball only field and most seats are good. Also, if you're coming from the south, you will have very easy access to the field and parking. If you are coming from the north, traffic backs up on the interstate because so many people that live in Tampa go to the Yankees games and come via I275 from the north. We live by the Sunshine Skyway bridge and we can make it there in no time, 5-10 minutes, but you would want to get there early to get good parking, because the lots fill up when the Yankees are in town and there will be lines getting in to park. Finding parking is not confusing either, everything is right off the interstate, so it's not like you have to drive far to park once you get off the interstate.

If you need any more help, feel free to email me.

Linda in St. Pete
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:00 AM

Yes, the field box seats would be the best and the best of them would be behind the home team dugout, i.e. sections 112, 114, 116, or 118. Clicking on a section in that stadium map gives the view from the section. If that view is what you mean by "seems quite far away" then you are mistaken. Click on 116 and you will see the best view of a baseball game IMO.

In San Diego and Houston, I bought tickets at the window and then went to the team's office inside the stadium. There, I explained that I was from out of town and they traded tickets to give me much better seats (a dream seat in the case of S.D.). The games you are looking at would be much more popular, though.

Brits on honeymoon going to a baseball game ought to get some special treatment. In fact, you ought to try to arrange a scoreboard display/announcement (I'm not sure what to call it, but between innings they display welcomes to groups, birthday announcements, etc.). They might put the camera on your bride and you.

You can buy tickets from a ticket broker. These are legal scalpers and you will find them in the want ads, yellow pages, etc. I suppose that you should be able to find one online and get a price. This would be the most expensive option.

Personally, I would probably go to one of the Baltimore games to get better seats (the 15th or the businessperson's special on the 16th (the weekday day-game)).

Your use of the term doubleheader is not correct. It is a two-game series. A doubleheader is when two games are played on the same day.