Beach Blanket Babylon

Jan 14th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Beach Blanket Babylon

Would like to hear from anyone who has gone to this show while in San Francisco. Would you have any recommendations, dealing with things such as: Any particular day and performance time preferred? Which seating area might be preferred (does anyone know how they number their seats)? How far in advance would you buy tickets? Where would you buy tickets (online or elsewhere)? Any other comments about the show. Thanks.
Jan 14th, 2004, 07:36 PM

Most is explained on their website. Have you looked at that? www.beachblanketbabylon.com

The best seats would be the front row upstairs (VIP I think they call them) or maybe the upstairs side seats. You don't reserve seats downstairs, just an area. Then you arrive about an hour early and stand outside waiting to get in. The further up front in line you are, the better the seats. But you still need to buy the tickets and advance, and you can pick them up then, as most shows sell out. I'd think other than for special holiday nights or something you should be able to get them just a couple weeks ahead.
I believe there's a Sunday daytime show when people under 21 are admitted, so I'd avoid that one.

It's a lot of fun. Some find it claustrophobic as you are really packed in at tiny tables -- drinks are served. I've seen it maybe 6 times -- always a little different. But your tickets online from their website or by calling them.
Jan 15th, 2004, 07:04 AM

The seats upstairs are like theater seats and they are much better than the seats downstairs. I called six weeks in advance and I was unable to get seats in this area. If you would like the best seats, call early.
However, I reserved downstairs seats in the front section and they were good. It is a small theater. The show was loads of fun and we would see it again.
Jan 15th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Good thoughts. Thanks. I did look at their web site. It shows the seating areas but not specific rows/seat #s. I would have probably gone for the front downstairs, but you all make the upstairs sound good. Sounds like there's tables downstairs and theater seats upstairs - do they serve drinks in both areas? Sounds like a worthwhile show since we'l be in town for a week's stay. Thanks again.
Jan 15th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Go for any of the upstairs seats, if available. I believe there was a section of seats upstairs that were tiered, making it possible to see even if you were not lucky enough to obtain front row seats in that area. I am sure the person you talk with will be able to answer all your questions. Have fun.
Jan 15th, 2004, 10:47 AM

I went last May. I had an upper level side seat, which worked out fine. The show is silly, but fun, sometimes witty. It reminded me of an old burlesque-type review. I don't need to go back again, but it was a nice way to loosen up for an evening.
Jan 15th, 2004, 02:32 PM

It's a great show. I've been twice. Once we sat on the main floor in movable chairs and last time upstairs in theater seats. I prefer the cheaper seats down stairs--they put you closer to the action. Seats are first come first served.
Jan 15th, 2004, 03:08 PM

DEFINITELY UPSTAIRS on the Front Row-you see everything..

When we got tkts, they told us to get there early , as it was first come, first seating as far as where you can actually sit...Has something changed???

It is such a funny show--go with an open mind and you will have a blast!
Jan 15th, 2004, 04:29 PM

From what I understand when I was there last May, your ticket doesn't buy you an actual seat, i.e. Row 30, Seat B. It buys you a section. Because we got there a little early, we were seated in the second row of our section. If you come a little late, you could be in the 6th or 7th row of that section.

We were upstairs -- great view, great show, great satire.
Jan 16th, 2004, 04:15 AM

We just recently bought out tickets for the 2/19/04 show and were told that the seats we would have are upper level front row (Magnin Box). There are different prices for different sections.
Our seats are reserved. You might want to give them a call if you are unsure.

Jan 19th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Good inputs and advice. Much appreciated.