Bar Harbor Trip Report

Search

Bar Harbor Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bar Harbor Trip Report

Hello Fodorites: This has been my first opportunity to post a trip report. Any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Our trip was 10 days to Bar Harbor Maine, June 12 thru 22. First stop was Portsmouth, NH since we could not make that long drive with a DH of 4 1/2 yrs old who gets car sick. For our one night en route we stayed at the Sheraton Harborside in Portsmouth, NH. It was a great location for exploring this very quaint NE town that had fine shops and dining options. The staff was very pleasant and helpful too. On this nights stay we opted for club level since in the past we find this to be a great option with a toddler. Usually, any snack of drink we need for her or ourselves we would just help ourselves to the club room verses finding a local store. Well, there is something to be said for Sheraton's version of club level for it lacked ALOT! My advice, SKIP IT! As for the Sheraton's other amenities; we were quite pleased with there restaurant and lounge but there indoor pool aread left ALOT to be desired.

We checked out after breakfast in the very sad club room the next morning. It took us a good while to reach Bar Harbor. We actually rented a great house in Southwest Harbor, which everyone calls the quiet side. And, rightfully so! Considering we're city folk, it was very welcomed and beautifully peaceful! (If anyone would like information on the house, please contact me off line as I HIGHLY recommend it!) Bar Harbor town was a mere 20 minute ride. We enjoyed the hustle nad bustle by day but loved going back to "our side" at night.

As first time tourists to the area we did all of the common things: a whale watch tour, the oceanairium, the lobster hatchery, a brewery tour, the college of the atlantic, the whale museum, the by sea sightseeing tour and of course, Acadia Nat'l Park! My highlight was naturallt, Acadia. If you love nature and birds and the great outdoors, this place is just NOT to be missed! We took some great hikes (where normal people would never dare take there 4 1/2 yr old) and saw great wildlife and nature! WE ALL enjoyed it! Hte park is enourmous so I would advice doing it in sections to fully capture all that it is! Sadly, the weather didn't cooperate with us as it was mostly cool and foggy for our entire stay. But it didn't prevent us from anything.

Our biggest dissapointment would have to be the whale tour. Although the Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co. runs a great operation and makes every effort to "find the whales", we, unfortunately, only found one and followed the same one for 40 long minutes. If our guide had mentioned "Gemini" one more time, I would have swam back to shore!!! And on this same tour we were promised to see Puffins! Well, unless you had super 8 binoculars there was nothing to see at all because we never got close enough! My daughter's highlight was the lobster/seal tour by the same company. At least on that tour, we got to see plenty of harbor seals and tons of lobsters! Naturally!!!!

Our dining never ventured out of ordinary since we were travelling with our daughter. Sadly, no five star restaurants for us on this trip! After 8 days we were sad to leave but hoped to neer see fog again for the rest of our lives!

As we headed home, we stopped off again for another night in NH only this time in New Castle at the Wentworth-by-the-Sea. Let me say this, if you have the opportunity to stay here - DO IT! It's magnificent! The rooms were tastefully decorated and impeccably clean, the staff was extremely courteous, the indoor and outdoor pools are super clean, kid friendly and very pretty, the spa was totally delightful and the restaurants were also great. The grounds were also spectacular. I would return in a heart beat.

All in all, a great trip that allowed us some great family time and to become one with nature in spite of my husband's $185 speeding ticket he received heading home on the Maine Pike. DRIVERS BEWARE!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Nice reprot--thanks. Did u have any lobster?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Yestravel - thank you! Not only did I eat Lobster, I ate lobster at least every day and sometimes twice a day! I was in LOBSTER heaven!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Nice report. I love Bar Harbor, glad you did too!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:37 PM

travelbuff127-
I am sorry to hear that you did not see any whales on your trip. We did the Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co's whales & puffins tour over July 4th and fortunately got to see a bunch of finback and humpback whales. I agree that it was difficult to see the puffins, and we had pretty good binoculars.

Unfortunately, though, there were 4 to 6 foot swells that day, and 80% of the boat was seasick (not a pretty sight!). We realized later why they repeated 4 times that people could get off the boat before it departed and get a full refund

Glad you had a good time - we,too, found Mt. Desert Island and Acadia to be very beautiful and peaceful.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Sessa - Oh my! Although I'm glad you got your monies worth from the tour, I would have rather seen one whale in calm seas than take that ride with you! I really enjoyed Acadia though! At some points it was surreal!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:12 AM

Hi,

We are going up in a couple of weeks and we are staying right in Bar Harbor. Did you find it difficult to find parking when you went into Bar Harbor? We are mostly going for the park and eating out, sightseeing all around so wondering if we should try and find someplace outside of Bar Harbor. We are peaceful loving people as well.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:27 AM

Great report - so glad you like the Wentworth - we live nearby but stay there at least once a year as a mini getaway.

We also love Bar Harbor and Acadia - hope you went to the Jordon Pond House. Its a tradition for us.

For those who like things really really quiet, check out the Schoodic Pennisula side of Acadia - get there by a 45 minute drive or by ferry. Its our favorite part of the park.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

To VJM50 - We loved it and we really didn't have an issue with parking. But you have to remember, I went before all the crowds came. Parking now, might be a little bit tricky. You need a few days in the park to really explore all the beauty and paths! Do the carriage ride too, my daughter loved the horses!

To Bennie - We so loved the Wentworth we hope to go back! That place is a hidden gem to us people south of it!. And in answer to your other question - OH YES WE DID - TWICE! They had the best lobster rolls and popovers! Jordan's was everything they claim to be and more! The view was also amazing!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Isn't Wentworth-by-the-Sea a beautiful property? We've stayed there before and will be doing it again at the end of our trip to NE. I love the Spa there and the breakfast in the dining room was really nice.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

MBNancy - I'm with you. Oddly enough, upon our return home we kept bumping into people who had either previously stayed there or where going there! Before that, we had never heard of the place. And wouldn't you know about two weeks after returning home, Newsday's travel section did a whole centerfold on Portsmouth! I told my DH I would definitely consider making that a vacation spot. Everything was lovely! Happy travels