Reload this Page >

Bar Harbor, Camden or Belfast

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2002, 05:38 AM
jackson

Hi. We are flying into Bangor Maine and wonder which of the above towns to make our hotel reservations at. We like eating lobster (duh!), shopping, quaint towns. OUr trip is scheduled for the 3rd week of August. Please advise.

Old May 4th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Liz

I love Bar Harbor/Acadia, but it's about the outdoors, not shopping.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:59 AM
Frank

From another poster:

Message: Bar Harbour is a great town, full of life, marvelous shopping and a good place to set out for whale-watching, day trips to authentic "down east Maine" destinations like Blue Hill, Castine, Stonington, the Chicken Barn, Blueberry Hill and Jordans in Ellesworth...oh, now you've got me packing!!!

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Liza

If you stay in Bar Harbor, you can easily get to Southest Harbor, Northwest Harbor, which are on Mt Dessert Island, where Acadia National Park is located. Driving around this area is a pleasure, and you can always explore island communities like Big/Little Cranberry island by ferry.

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Kira

It's a pretty drive from Bangor to Bar Harbor.

Bar Harbor offers a lot of gorgeous B&B's and charming hotels, with pretty scenery...and quaint little shoppes.

The food is fantastic, don't forget to try the 'lobster ice cream' from Ben and Bills Chocolate Emporium.

Tour Acadia Park, walk around the town, take in a whale watching tour, enjoy the local seafood and don't forget your blueberry jam and hand picked lobster before heading home.

You'll love this picturesque town.

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:30 PM
jersey

We enjoy visiting both Camden and Bar Harbor each time we visit Maine. They are both great places for shops, food, and beautiful views. Enjoy!We usually spend a night in Camden, a couple in Bar Harbor, and a couple in Boothbay. A great day trip is a boatride to Monhegan Island!. (or ther are places to stay and eat) The artist studios are inspired by the scenery! We enjoyed eating Lobster lunches on 165 foot cliffs overlooking the ocean. We also saw seals and whales during the boat ride. It was unforgetable! we took the Balmy Days II out of Boothbay. But , I believe there are others.

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:54 AM
Kim

Belfast! Unlike Camden and Bar Harbor, it's uncrowded, great restaurants and shops and more reasonable prices!!! And being centrally located, one can easily get to everyplace else in a short time for day trips. I think the best B&B's are right here too. You won't regret your choice if you choose Belfast...we live here, we know how terrific it is!

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:21 PM
joesorce

Yikes, Bar Harbor is just SO crowded in August, the traffic can be very frustrating.

Belfast might be a calmer alternative, and you could take a day trip to Bar Harbor leaving extra-early in the morning and beating the crowds. It's also very close to Camden.