Bar Harbor in July ... Crazy Idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spending a few days in Bar Harbor in July. This is the first time in Maine for us. We hear that it is overcrowded and traffic is crazy in Summer. Is it really the case? Is it crowded to the point that we will not be able to park in the town or wait for a long time to dine in restaurants?
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Hi, I'm a native Mainer who has been to Bar Harbor many times throughout the summer, yes it gets a little crowded and crazy in the summer, but I would say that it is no worse than any other tourist destination. There are a lot of other things to do on MDI then just being in Bar Harbor (Acadia, a lot of nice scenic drives around the island), the town itself is nice for about a day but you see it all in about that time and then get bored (I do, at least) I dont know if that helps at all, but thats my experience with the area
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:04 AM

Try to go whale watching and dont forget a visit to the Bass harbor lighthouse.PAul
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:05 AM

That's good advice from a native Mainer. We haven't been to Bar Harbor in a few years but last early July we traveled as far as Ellsworth. The popular tourist areas are very crowded, i.e. Camden and Boothbay. Traffic gets backed up in certain areas like the bridge in Wiscasset during commuting hours. Plan your trip to avoid late Friday afternoons esp on 4th of July weekend. We had no trouble at all traveling early on Friday but friends said there was heavy traffic all the way up Rt 95 from Portsmouth. We notice it gets heavy around Portland. Try to get to restaurants when it's not their busiest times. Rt 1 to Ellsworth wasn't busy at all when it wasn't the day everyone was coming or going. And as grnjello said, there is lots to do in Acadia and around Mt Desert Island than just visit Bar Harbor.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM

We have a home about an hour from Bar Harbor and spend all summer there. Whenever we have company in town we take them to Bar Harbor and Acadia. Yes, it's crowded, but not to the point that you won't be able to get around and enjoy it. Certainly get out and see some of the rest of the area.

If you have a car and want to drive a little further up the coast, get off the island and go to Schoodic Point (also part of Acadia National Park, but about 30-45 minutes up the coast depending on traffic).

Whale Watching with Bar Harbor Whale Watch is our favorite - they do a great job. we try to go in the morning because the seas tend to be a bit calmer. Make sure you bundle up. Even if it is warm on land it can get downright cold out on the water !

For the best ice cream in town, go to Ben and Bill's on the main drag. Fabulous! But skip the lobster ice cream. My favorite is Moose Droppings. Different than Moose Tracks that you can get in the store - Droppings has malted milk balls in it!

Enjoy your trip to Maine!