Back from Sedona

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Helene

Back from Sedona

Just returned from a wonderful week in Sedona. You CAN spend a week there, easily! Family of 4, kids 8 and 11, and we stayed at Enchantment - which is in such a spectacularly beautiful setting. The food at the hotel is great (expensive though), and the bocce ball, croquet, and pitch'n put golf made my kids happy. The pool is adequate - but with such natural beauty who needs fabricated water slides?? We had a 2 room casita, with a small kitchen, so there was plenty of room to spread out. We spent one day at the Grand Canyon, one in the very cute town of Jerome, (the kids liked the kitchy Gold King Mine and we liked the shops. Stop in Nelly Blye's and look through all the kaleidoscopes! Keep in mind if you're going this summer that all the hiking trails in Sedona are CLOSED, except for Red Rock State Park. We were very bummed that we didn't get to experience Slide Rock in Oak Creek Canyon, but we did get to drive through on our way to Flagstaff. We stopped at the Wupatki Ruins on the way back from G.C., but Sunset Crater was also closed due to fire risk. We took a (modified) Pink Jeep Tour - they have access to a private ranch so you can still experience the thrill of jeep riding, though not on their regular route. Great meals at Yavapai, Cowboy Club, Heartline, Pizza Picasso and Javelina Cantina. Anyone with any questions, please e-mail me. I highly recommend this beautiful destination!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Tiffany

We are going to Enchantment for our third time in about two months. (Can't wait) You mentioned that all of the trails were closed to hiking. Does this include the Boynton Canyon Trail on the Enchantment property? We have decided to do this instead of a drive to the GC.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:07 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:35 AM
tommy

Tiffany,
I was in Sedona last month, and did not stay at Enchantment, but was told by some people there that the trails on Enchantment's property were indeed closed.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Tiffany

That stinks. Maybe AZ will finally get some rain before we go and they'll be open again. Thanks for the info.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:30 PM
kam

Boynton Canyon trails were closed in June, but I've heard that they have subsequently gotten some monsoons. Maybe call the hotel for up to date info?

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Tiffany

Since things probably change all of the time, we'll just wait until we get there to check it out. I am going with three freinds and going for a spa weekend. Since we are meeting today to discuss details, I wanted to be able to warn them about the trails. If all we can do is relax at the spa, that will be just awful! ;-)

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:10 AM
Helene

The entire forest was closed the first week in July. The only state park open was Red Rock. All trails from and around Enchantment were closed. They hoped to have rain at the end of July; go onto the forest web site (search arizona state parks?) and they have daily updates. You can certainly call the hotel as well.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:23 AM
cl9

What did you think of Wupatki?

I'm taking my mom to visit a friend in Flagstaff next spring and we're looking for interesting but not overly strenuous day trips (she likes to hike, but in short bursts) .

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:26 AM
Sedona Sam

All Coconino Forest trails have reopened. The Boynton Canyon trail begins on Coconino Forest property, skirts the Enchantment Resort land, and continues on northward beyond the resort. It is open.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:44 AM
Eva

As to Wupatki-- we were there last month and it is an excellent site with wonderfully preserved ruins. It is very hot though (we were there mid-June). Well worth a visit. There are also wonderful views of the painted desert on the way!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:41 PM
L.

Great news... Sedona and the surrounding forests are open once again!! so those comming can enjoy a hike or swim at slide rock ( they had large numbers of people there on re-opening day!! (you will still need to purchase a red rock pass to park on any forest roads in Sedona area) come enjoy and relax!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:43 PM
kam

I'm so happy to hear that AZ is OK again. Hope it continues to be so through the rest of the summer.