Pearl Harbor during a layover?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:11 PM
sparklegem

Pearl Harbor during a layover?

Planning a trip for my parents and wondered how much time to allow at the Memorial. They are trying to fit it in on a a.m. plane change (on a Saturday). Is it possible?

Thank you, Gem

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Paul

I doubt it. There are tickets to go to the Arizona but they are available on a first come, first served basis. Pearl Harbor is close to the airport but still with travel time etc., I would plan on about 4-5 hours for travel, waiting for the movie and trip to the Arizona, plus the visitor's center has lots too see. There is also a submarine to visit there, and I think they've recently towed a new ship into berth near the Arizona. They should definitely visit but not try to "shoehorn" the visit into 2 hours. They would be very rushed and would likely not even get out to the ship.
Paul

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Alex

Unless your parents have a personal connection with this tradgic event I would skip. It is hot out there and crowded. It's a great tour but I would only suggest it if is part of a larger itinerary in seeing the island. Many people go and say it is not too be missed but the these same people don't seem to do anything else historical with the exception of those submarines and punchbowl, so I am not sure what they are comparing it too.

Park rangers do always give great lectures and I have been to PH myself about 3 times but I would not put my parents in the heat and crowds with the rush to make a plane.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Postal

You need to plan several hours for this excursion, especially if you also want to see the submarine and the incredible USS Missouri battleship which is now alongside the Arizona Memorial.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:09 PM
sue

If you do go to the Pearl Harbor Memorial, do not bring any purses or backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, etc. They will not permit anything in.