Austin/San Antonio

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austin/San Antonio

Will be traveling to San Antonio & Austin in mid September with another couple. First visit for all of us. Flying into San Antonio but not sure how to break up the trip - was thinking of driving to Austin for 3 nights, and then returning to SA for the last 4 nights. Good idea? It is worth spending $$ on a hotel right on the riverwalk or better to stay a few blocks away & walk. Is there much to do in Austin to fill up 3 days? Will start reading all of the posts but in the meantime if anyone has advice regarding hotels/restaurants/sightseeing, would appreciate any/all input.Thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM

babsie,

We need more information. Who's coming, a couple, or family of 6 with teenagers, little kids, etc. What do you want to spend a night? What do you like to do? Shop? Hike? Eat and drink?
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM

I think it is worth the extra to stay on or near the riverwalk. The Mengor Hotel across from the Alamo is an old interesting historical hotel. It is the only musty place that I have ever stayed where the odor didn't bother me, for some reason. New Braunsfel on your way to Austin is worth checking out.

My favorite place to eat in Austin is Papadeaux's. It is fish/cajun.

Not for sure you would be interested in this, but the Schlitterbahn in New Braunsfel is the best waterpark in the world, period!!!!
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 05:05 PM

babsie, there's plenty to do in Austin, more so than San Antonio, IMHO.
In Austin, visit Hamilton Pool, LBJ library, Oasis, Lake TRavis, etc.

Add a couple of days from Austin (to make it less in San Antonio) to Fredericksburg and Enchanted Rock. Fredericksburg is a small german town with a nice main street full of beer gardens and antique shopping. A nice hike up enchanted rock and some wine tasting in the area wouid also be a good idea. The Nest is a fantastic restaurant in Fredericksburg and the wild seed farm is also a neat visit although not sure if there will be any flowers blooming by then.

Let us know what you like to do and may suggest more information.

In San Antonio, I like Bigas on Banks for a restaurant. Stay at the Hyatt on the riverwalk and yes, it is worth it to stay on the river rather than not.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 06:04 PM

I agree to stay longer in Austin rather than San Antonio, and to visit the Schlitterbahn water park if possible. Personally I don't think staying on the riverwalk is worth the extra money. When it's hot and stuffy (which it probably will be in September), there is very little air movement down on the riverwalk.

I will warn you about one thing. If you're any kind of light sleeper, don't pick a hotel near the railroad tracks - I had a very sleepless night at one of them! Those trains run ALL night!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 01:07 PM
LG2

We have been to San Antonio 4 times in the last 16 years. Will be there again during fiesta for three days. One of the days will be a day trip to Austin, our first visit. Based on my research and preferences, I'm not intrigued with Austin, but can make a better judgement when we visit. Not too interested in the music or LBJ history, so I find San Antonio much more appealing. Fredericksburg is a good day trip! As follow_your_bliss said, we need more info from you. For a first visit, I would recommend seeing what SA is known for. Example, I wouldn't recommend the Alamo, Spanish Governor's Palace, Missions, etc. more than once, but you need to at least see them once!
I once stayed on the Riverwalk on business, but for personal trips we stay somewhere along the streetcar routes. We then have a choice of walking or riding without spending a lot of money. Again, it depends on what you like ....
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM

I just got back from a lovely trip to San Antonio. I think eating a pastry from Mi Tierra is a MUST. The place is incredible and the sweets are DELISH!!! Also if you like BBQ, the "County Line" eatery along the Riverwalk was really yummy. If you like gardens, the Japanese Garden Tea Garden is really nice too.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 05:08 PM

We just returned last night from our first San Antonio visit. We stayed at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio, which is a couple of blocks from the Riverwalk. We felt like it was the perfect location. We walked everywhere, and it was so nice eating outside at the restaurants on the Riverwalk.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
P_M

In addition to maria's good suggestions for Austin please check out the following:

Texas State Capitol (tours are free)
Bob Bullock Texas History Museum and/or IMAX
Blanton Art Museum
Henry Ransom Center
Mt. Bonnell
Duck Tours
Esther's Follies (this is the funniest live show you will ever see, but probably not suitable for young kids)
Sixth Street (a street lined with bars and tons of live music)
Warehouse District (another area with music and bars, within walking distance of Sixth St.)
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
If you plan to see the Alamo while in San Antonio be sure to go to the IMAX and see "ALAMO...The Price of Freedom". The movie will make the Alamo much more interesting. You can walk from one to the other (across the street).
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:53 PM
LG2

Just back from our whirlwind week in Texas.
Annual Grapevine Jazz Wine Train ride was great! JFK stuff in Dallas was a priority! Stockyards in Ft Worth was interesting. Moody Gardens in Galveston was very nice - needed the whole day. Didn't have time for the Ducks in Galveston. Next day in Houston - Level 9 Tour at the Johnson Space Center is worth the price!

Went to Austin for a day. The Capitol tour was better than I expected. Same for the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum. Ducks ride was disappointing. Much better in Boston. Went to TGI Friday's to watch the bats, but they didn't take flight that night (or the night before). Easy to ride the free trolleys (Dillos).

Spent the other day and a half in SA. Still feel there's more to do there. Enjoy your trip!