Search

atlanta/savannah

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:13 PM
abc

atlanta/savannah

i have 3-4 days in georgia.
do i need a car in atlanta?
what's the easiest way to get to savannah from atlanta and is it worth it?
what shouldn't i miss?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Katrina

It totally depends on where you will be going and where you will be staying in Atlanta as far as having a car goes. Check out the MARTA website for info if you are interested in using the transit system. You will definitely need one if you want to venture out of Atlanta, esp going to Savannah.

It will probably take you 5 hours or so to get to Savannah from Atlanta. CHeck a map for the most direct route--it will be interstate so it should be easy to navigate. You ask if it is worth it? Have you been to any old Southern cities? It is very pretty--old houses, moss hanging from trees, etc.--it also has River St which has alot of restaurants, shops, bars, and is also a short drive to Tybee Island--the closest beach. If you like history, you will find plenty to see and do besides the old houses. There are several forts from the Civil War era that are interesting, too. Check out the website at www.savcvb.com.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Karen

Is this your first time to Atlanta? You can get to some areas of town through MARTA but if you want to venture outside of Atlanta (besides Savannah) you will need a car. Stops on MARTA - airport, downtown (World of Coke, Underground, all sports arenas) midtown (Margaret Mitchell house, High Museum, Botantial Gardens), and Buckhead (shopping, shopping, shopping). There are things to do outside of Atlanta - Stone Mountain, Six Flags, Dalonga, North GA mountains.

As far as Savannah, it will take about 3/12 - 4 hours (I drive it about once a month). Savannah is well worth the trip and should not be missed. The historical district, the squares, River Street, and the beach. You can spend the whole 3-4 days in Savannah. I like it alot better than Atlanta. Best of luck!!!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Serena

You might enjoy Savannah for a day and a night. There are a few things to see on your way to Savannah. Macon is a nice city and you might enjoy stopping there and seeing the Hay House on your way down. The "Midnight in The Garden Tour" in Savannah that takes you to the old cemetary is fun.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Jim H.

I would rent a car. What kind of things do you like? The current exhibit at the High Museum (Jacob Lawerence: Over the Line)is very good. Taking in a braves game is always fun. The Martin Luther King Center is worth visiting and no visit to Atlanta would be complete without a visit to the world famous Varsity (Try a couple of Chile Dawgs,Onion Rings and a Frosted Orange). Have fun.