Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anything to see driving from Atlanta to Savannah?

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be flying into Atlanta and heading to Savannah in early Feb. Just wondering if there were interesting places in Atlanta or on the drive to Savannah that we should check out for an hour or two as long as we're in the area?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Not really. Sometimes there are special events in Macon, but I don't see anyhing in Feb.

One neat place to see is the antebellum town of Madison but it's not really on your way. You could head east on I 20 and then drive through the countryside south of 441 and pick up I 16 in Dublin. You would see more of Georgia that way. Everyone who sees Madison "oohs and ahhs".

Most folks take I 75 to Macon and then pick up I 16 to Savannah. It really is a boring drive and not much of anything to stop and see on the way.

Where are you coming from?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:48 AM

If it would be of interest to you, there is a "Napolean in Egypt" exhibit at the Museum of Arts and Sciences at that time in Macon.

http://www.masmacon.com/
http://www.masmacon.com/exhibits/current.htm
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:48 AM

If you are flying into Atlanta, I wouldn't try to get from the airport to see anything interesting. It would be a traffic battle for only an hour or two. If you had longer, the new Aquarium would be well worth checking out.

There won't be anything in Macon in February and the drive to Savannah is straight and blah. If you need to plan on meals, there are a lot of fast food, and other eateries in Macon right on the Interstate. It makes a nice break in the trip from Atlanta to Savannah.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:49 AM

One more idea. If you were a fan of the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" you can detour off for less than 30 minutes and visit the little town of Juliette, GA (where it was filmed) and have a Southern lunch at the Whistle Stop Cafe.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Here's the website with a link to the Whistle Stop. It is closed on Mondays.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:00 AM

There is nothing between Atlanta and Savanannah on I-16. I-16 defies the argument of politicians who say that if you build roads, development will follow.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We're flying in from Mpls. I'll check out how far out of the way Madison is on the map and see if we can swing it. But the Whistle Stop Cafe stop sounds like a plan! Thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Macon does have some places to see if you are interested in history and have the time. I have never been in The Hay House, but I understand it's worth a visit. check out this site.

http://www.cityofmacon.net/Visiting/visit.htm#tourism
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM

I have a question about I-16 from Macon to Savannah. We travel this way going to Hilton Head and on every trip I wonder what the "gates" are on the exit and entrance ramps onto I-16. They look like the gates one would find near a railroad crossing. I've speculated that they are in case of a coastal exodus -if they make the highway one way to evacuate the coast - but that is just a guess. Wondering if anyone from the area could tell me why they are there? And for those of you who said the drive was boring - no kidding - it seems the longest part of the trip from KY to Hilton Head.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM

That's exactly what they are for. In case of hurricanes or other need for mass evacuation, they are there to block traffic from heading south when the evacuation traffic is headed north.

I guess they could be used if the interstate is closed off for any other reason (tractor trailer tanker fire, etc).

Someone mentioned in another thread all the shredded tire treads along I 16. Well, this last trip I saw a smoke cloud ahead of me and then saw the pieces of the tire from the blown tire. The pieces were literally smoking as I passed them on the road. About a mile down the road I caught up the the 18 wheeler - with a missing tire on the back right rear...but he kept on rolling along.

Talk about smokin'...!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Thanks Starrsville, I guess my logical explanation for the gates was correct. Now, I'll apologize to everyone for three posts - don't know how that happened.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:19 PM

The intent is that in case of hurricane evacuation, the gates would be closed all lanes would be used. The last time they tried to evacuate Savannah, it was terrible! and there was the other side of the Interstate with no traffic on it. So the decision was made that if we ever had to do it again, traffic would use both sides.

T