Search

Atlanta Aquarium

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta Aquarium

Sorry guys. Here I was, one of the first to get into this place (Nov. 21-22 It was only open to pass holders - and the press. I saw the people from the Today Show) and I forgot to write about it. I am sure someone else did, but I don't see anything.

Yes, this place is BIG. Yes, it is nice. VERY NICE! (I love aquariums) ... But I don't think it is the BEST I have ever been to. Can't put my finger on "why."

There were 2 protests going on when I was waiting in line ... but they got rained out. (I haven't seen that much rain in a long time!) One was protesting that we should be spending money on the homeless and not on fish - and the other was the animal rights people. They had a big sign that said "The whales say 'No Thanks'. (I am not sure which one of them actually had the conversation with the whales. I would have liked to be there. ;-)... The thing is, 2 of the Belugas were rescued from a theme park in Mexico. One was really in poor shape. It has a terrible skin condition. They are nursing it back to health ... I am having a very hard time believing that he said, "No thanks."

I believe in animal rights too. I mean, when I was in Mexico I saw a small park "zoo" and it disgusted me. Animals in small dirty cages ... (you get the picture)

But that doesn't mean ALL zoos are bad. Some of them are actually saving the animals ... Ok, this is getting off topic. I will stop.

I rate the Atlanta Aquarium an 8 out of 10.

The 4-D show (an extra charge of $5.50 which MADE ME MAD ) Is a 10 out of 10!!

The food court is EXPENSIVE ... but the food is not bad at all.

Old Dec 1st, 2005, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone else been yet? ... Just wondering what others thought of it.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 06:28 PM

Lets review the review!

1 Saw people from TODAY.
2. Place is BIG.
3. Two protests going on.
4. Talking whales.
5. Saw a dirty zoo once in Mexico
6. Food expensive.

I guess that tells us all that we wanted to know about the new aquarium!

A waste of time and space. This could have been written on a MARTA train passing through Buckhead.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 06:16 AM

Lets review the review of the review!

1. Never posted to Fodors before.
2. Or had to get a new name because they are baned.
3. Has contributed absolutely nothing to this community.
4. A troll.

Thanks for the orignal review, W&G.

Keith
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 06:26 AM

Hi W & G, Thanks for your report. I haven't been but last week sat next to a lady who went before it was open to the public--she said it is fabulous. We like aquariums, too, and plan to go when we head to Atlanta in May.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Well, I never had such a nasty comment about one of my posts before! ... I actually thought my review was a little better than Al4travel claimed. (I mean for goodness sake! I don't write for the newspaper or anything - just thought I would write a quick post on my 1st impressions. It was late and I needed to go to bed, but thought I should write something real quick.) I thought I gave a good overview of the whales at least. (Thanks Keith for making me feel better! - It is kind of embarrassing to admit, but my feelings were a little hurt. - I mean, we don't get paid for posting on here. If we get treated like that, why should we even bother? ... But I know it was a Troll.)

I guess I should have written a little more about the inside of the place, but I was so tired and had a bad headach, I was using Fodors to take my mind off of it. - One thing I really loved about the aquarium was the tunnel that you move through on a moving sidewalk. It really makes you feel like you are in the ocean.

AnnMarie_C, it is definitely worth visiting. By May it won't be as crowded. Spend the extra money and see the 4-D show. It is really good!

I apologize for my original post being a "waste of time and space."
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:13 PM

W&G--Don't let that fool get to you. I'm glad you posted about your experience. We have tickets for next Sunday (12/11) and am really excited to go. I'm glad you mentioned you liked the movie. I wasn't sure if we wanted to pay the extra $ for it but since you said it was really good, we'll fork over the $5.50.

Thanks for letting us know what you thought

OWJ
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:43 PM

Dear W & G, I think it was a very good review. You gave us some good info. Shame onAI4 or whatever its name is.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:58 AM

W&G, don't apologize!! I was so happy to read your post and wished I could remember all the back ground information about the aquarium the lady I sat next to gave me but at the time I was doused in a thick haze of cold medicine. Your post reminded me that the conversation ever took place, lol!
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 05:28 AM

Planning on going this weekend -- glad I checked in -- advance tickets are a good idea?
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 06:09 AM
JJ5

Thanks for the review, as I love Aquariums and Zoos and will go stop in Atlanta to see this one on the next drive trip down to FL.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Seaturtle,

I am not sure if they are still doing advance tickets. I have a season pass (that is how I got to get in on Nov. 21) and they are still asking us to make a reservation ... so you better check it out.

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/

I am sure there won't be a problem getting in - but expect some crowds. You will have a good time though.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:33 AM

Hello All,
We went to the GA Aquarium on Sunday and thought it was WONDERFUL. The displays were amazing and the variety of fish blew us away. Without a doubt the massive ocean tank with whale sharks and tropical fish was our favorite. We could've spent hours in that part of the aquarium alone. In fact, we visited it 2x in the 3+ hours we were there.

We had advanced ressies for 10am--glad we got there early because the place was much more crowded when we left than when we arrived. It is one popular place right now. Get your tickets ahead of time!!

We went to the 4D movie--very cute. We are grown ups (most of the time!) and enjoyed it and think kids would love it even more. It's a cartoon and quite well done.

We weren't sure if we were going to get annual passes but we will. Being in Atlanta, we think we'll go enough to make it worthwhile. In addition to unlimited visits, it provides 20% discounts in the gift shop, concessions and for parking ($8 in the aquarium lot).

I think the area around the aquarium will soon be a destination of its own. There are lofts and condos and new hotels going in, along with restaurants of all sorts. They are really trying to revitalize downtown and I think this just may do it. World of Coke will be moving next door and of course, Centennial Olympic Park.

OWJ
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:01 PM

W&G, you did just fine. Ignore the rudeness.

OWJ, thanks for your review, too. I really, REALLY hope that the additon of the Aquarium will get more people downtown. I hate having to tell people that there's not much to see and do beyond World of Coke, which is nice enough but not as amazing as an aquarium. Hope you and your husband have a wonderful holiday, btw!

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:08 PM

W&G thanks for the review. Since you gave the Atlanta Aquarium an 8 out of 10, which aquarium(s) would you rate higher? I'm curious. Thanks.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

wtm003,
I don't think I would rate any aquarium a 10 - The thing is, I wish I could create the perfect aquarium taking different things from all the aquariums I have been to.(Each one had something unique to offer that was better than anywhere else) For example, the Atlanta aquarium has penguins, but they are behind glass. I much prefer the penguins in Boston. They are out in the open (but in a sunken island that you look down on.) I would use the Vancouver aquarium as a guide for outdoor exhibits (otters, harbour seals, etc.) ...I don't want to bore you. Just trying to explain what I mean. It's just little things. Don't get me wrong though. The Atlanta aquarium is very nice and I think it is a great asset to the community.