Atlanta hotel from hell

Search

Atlanta hotel from hell

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta hotel from hell

I just returned from a fun weekend in Atlanta with hubby- but our hotel was such a dump and disaster that we left! Here's one to avoid: Highland Inn
We thought we could stay ANYWHERE for one night- NOPE!
We are NOT picky and love boutique hotels, non-chains, small B&Bs..something with character. We do NOT like homeless people begging for change on the hotel porch, urine smells in the hall, and what we thought could be a safety concern- a broken radiator that was spitting hot water and steam onto the paper-thin cotton curtains and bedcover! Both were extremely hot to the touch.
The room was like a steambath and our not-too-friendly desk clerk told us to just open a window or turn on the A/C.
the A/C was a unit that plugged into the wall and did not fuction. It was 28 degrees outside and there was a rowdy bar inches away.
The shower was dirty and dripping.
The "Free Parking" was really anywhere you could find a spot in the surrounding residential area after the few hotel spots were taken up by bar patrons.
When we left the not-friendly guy at the front desk didn't seem to care- I think it happens a lot. He never offered to change our room or help in any way.
We found a Marriot- ten dollars more and what an upgrade!
The Highland gets mixed reviews on websites...and all I can say is trust the bad ones!
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 03:22 PM

tastravel-So sorry to hear about your bad experience! I hope the rest of your getaway was fun! I would definitely post your report on tripadvisor.com also!
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

I did post on tripadvisor as well...since that's actually where we found the hotel!
We still had a great time and recommend the King Tut and First Emperor exhibits to all...along with the GA Aquarium.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 05:29 AM

That place was like a hostel when I lived nearby about 10 years ago. About as far from a "boutique" hotels as you can get.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Jed

Thanks for posting. I just read some of the reviews on TA, which are mixed. I wonder why you chose this place, which is rated #110.

Since you like B&B's, it might have been better to check out the 'B&B' section and choose a higher rated place.

I don't mean to be critical, so please take this as as a helpful suggestion. I, and am sure others, have learned from this also.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes, well we only chose this place because we didn't realize there was the SEC championship game in Atlanta this same weekend as our trip! It was the only weekend we could get away, and despite ATL having an obviously large number of hotels, this was one of the only ones with an opening. We ended up in a Marriott about 30 min from downtown and even got the last spot there!