Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Finally decided: Paris's Hotel Luxembourg Parc, thanks to you all! You rock.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the people that steered us into NOT staying at the ground floor twin room at Hotel Chambiges in the right bank as we found the Hotel Luxembourg Parc thanks to YOUR help, right in the interesting part of the left bank:

http://www.luxembourg-paris-hotel.co.../Frameset.html
The rooms look superb and it's the same price as the other hotel but without the free breakfast. No big deal. We love eating at the small little spots. I'm just curious as to why there are practically NO reviews of this hotel anywhere on the net! Not on france.com, tripadvisor, nowhere. Weird, huh? Especially for a 4 star joint.

They just faxed a confirmation (230 euros a night for a double [ouch!], no breakfast) and we sent them our credit card info. Being on this message board has changed in it's entirety, the whole fabric of the trip we'll be taking! It's amazing what the 21rst century has brought us - better information to make better choices using other people's true experiences and not having to rely on biased, out of date travel books.

Regards,
Steve and Julia Robinson
USA
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 03:02 PM

Glad you've made a decision you feel good about; I'm sure you will have a great trip and YOU will have to be among the first to report back on the hotel!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Leslie

I WILL report back in full. The good, the bad, and the fugly!

I was going to ask for recommendations for food and drink in this area of our hotel, but I will dutifully do a search first on this site.

Peace,
A bunch of ole 42 year olds,
Steve and Julia
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:48 PM

I don't know the hotel, but it is an excellent location. I think the reason for the lack of reviews is that it is a fairly recently opened hotel--sometime last year.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:58 PM

I agree with Christina, not only about the Luxembourg Parc location, but also with her thoughts about the lack of reviews having to do with a recently opened hotel.

In fact, I passed by a month ago, and I almost could feel the smell of freshness there.

I wish I could have stayed there, myself, but it was above my budget.

Have a lovely stay in Paris.

S

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:11 PM

I stayed there for a week in December. It is a great hotel. I think it is about a year and half old. The rooms are nice. Decent size for Paris, the bathrooms are very nice - all marble. The people who ran the hotel were helpful. The lobby is very welcoming and there is a pretty bar and library downstairs as well.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:13 PM

Steve, congratulations on your adventurousness! I did manage to find an article in a fashion e-zine about St. Germain that mentions the hotel and talks about the area. It also mentions a couple of restaurants close by that I have read good reports on in another forum.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:57 PM

Enjoy your stay! It may not have been on the net, but I posted here about the hotel several times, having visited it while they were renovating the building and right after it opened. It has a great location and is a spiffy little hotel; for decades it had been a little two-star hotel and after that closed, the building had languished boarded up until new owners took over to make it into its current hotel. I'll see if I can find my original posting and bring it back up.
BTilke (Brussels)
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:59 PM

Stever, check the post new 4* hotel in Paris.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:16 PM

Oops! forgot to post the URL for the fashion e-zine. http://www.fashionlines.com/2002/mar/shoppingParis.php
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

You guys are the best! I didn't realize we are getting a practically new hotel. They just emailed me back and said they got our credit card and we are golden, and that we got their LAST freakin room! They said it is high up (we like, we like!!!) but not a view of the park. No big, right? I hope it's quiet. We ALWAYS bring a fan with us when we travel (220 volt!) so it creates white noise, AND earplugs!

I can't wait. You have made our trip great already. I love this little community.

Steve
USA
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:59 AM

I lived for a few months in the foyer (dormitory) next door to the hotel when I was a student in Paris. The only noticeable noises (beyond the usual city noise) are the early morning garbage trucks and the steady thunk-thunk-thunk of tennis balls from the tennis courts in the Luxembourg Gardens.
For breakfast, there's a little cafe nearby (I *think* it's still there), Au Petit Suisse, that's popular with the locals. My roommate in the foyer used to go out with the ex-husband of a French movie star and he and his buddies used to hang out there almost every day.