Hotel Muguet or Hotel des Grands Hommes?

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Muguet or Hotel des Grands Hommes?

My head is spinning from researching hotels in Paris for a May trip! Two criteria for us are non-smoking (which both have) and QUIET as we are both very light sleepers. We're in our 60's (active) and celebrating our 40th anniversary. Thanks to many contributors we were able to find many hotels that are totally non-smoking through Paris Info. Are we missing a better choice? Would like to keep it to $200-$225/night, but if there's a very special place will spend more. What about the difference in these two locations? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
kdcwood

Our family stayed at the Hotel des Grand Hommes over New Years weekend in 2004/2005. I would stay there again. This hotel is located on the big square by the Pantheon, but we found it a very quiet location and convenient (quiet even on New Year's Eve!). My detailed review is here: http://www.slowtrav.com/france/hotel...es&s=5th%20arr

I'm not familiar with the Hotel Muguet, but I noticed there are a couple of reviews on Slow Travel of that hotel as well: http://www.slowtrav.com/france/hotel...et&s=7th%20arr

Kathy

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Overall, I recommend the Hotel Muguet, but with some reservation. My husband and I were there in July 2004, and had found it a good hotel, but we had a mixed experience.

Here's what I wrote about Hotel Monge in an earlier trip report:
"Overall, a good value; I recommend it with some reservation. We found the staff somewhat aloof, and we had a bizarre experience with the maid removing the bedtable from my husband’s side of the bed! When we went to the owner, she spoke to the maid; the maid then got angry at the owner! The maid grudgingly returned the bedtable, and proceeded to lecture us (which we didn’t understand)! When we mentioned the maid’s rudeness to us, the owner said “But she cleans so well.” No apology, and we felt a little uncomfortable about the whole experience. The place WAS immaculate, though, and there is a/c (rare for 2* hotels). For the money, it is definitely good value. Location is convenient, if a little quiet."

I won't excuse the aloof behavior on summer crowds, either; we were in Paris this past summer, and found the staff at the Hotel Monge significantly more warm, welcoming and helpful.
Paule
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 06:34 AM

What is the Hotel Monge? Do you mean the Muguet? I have stayed at the Muguet every year for about 7 years. It is quiet, charming, immaculate and close to everything.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I think she meant to say the review was about Hotel Muguet, and that she later enjoyed and preferred Hotel Monge (in the 5th).
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Congrats on your 40th Anniversary!! I have stayed at the Muguet and also at the Pantheon neighborhood. This is a no-brainer to me: Hotel Muguet. >< Tons of great bistros around, a neighborhhod feeling with Amazing Paris around the corner. Ask for for one of the Eiffel Tower view rooms.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 08:21 AM

You're right, Travelnut! That was definitely a typo! My quote was about the Hotel Muguet, where we stayed in 2004, and we preferred Hotel Monge, where we stayed in 2006.

The Hotel Monge is an excellent value, 2-star hotel in the 5th Arrondisement. It has excellent A/C, which is great for the summer months, and comfortable but simple rooms. As I said, the staff there was warm, welcoming and very helpful, which was different than our experience at Hotel Muguet.

Paule
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM

I've only stayed at the Muguet so can't compare the hotel itself, but it is quiet enough. From what I've heard, I assume the other hotel is quiet enough, also. As in any hotel, I'm sure that can vary depending on your particular neighbors, though. The Muguet is the cheaper one, I think, but I think there are reasons for that. The Grands Hommes seems a little "nicer" from the description and amenities, but as I said, I haven't stayed there. For example, if you like a minibar in your room, that hotel has it and the Muguet does not.

I don't know how to exactly explain the difference in locations, they are just two different areas of Paris. I guess the Muguet is in a slightly more "upscale" area and lots of English-speaking expats live over there in that general area (British and American). It's also a little more out of the mainstream a bit, somewhat more residential, as the Grands Hommes is right near the Pantheon, so near some university buildings, closer to more stores and closer to the Seine, etc.

I prefer Luxumbourg Gardens to the parks near the Muguet, and prefer that location for other reasons, but some other folks wouldn't. It's closer to some things to do and places I go, but if you want a quieter area, you might prefer the Muguet. YOu have a pretty high budget, and the Muguet is fine in quality for its level, but don't expect it to be some marvelous special hotel. If I personally had a choice, I'd choose the Grands HOmmes as I like that location and prefer to have a minibar, and didn't think the Muguet was any special hotel that I'd want to return to, and I wasn't as comfortable there as in other hotels I stay at in Paris for various reasons. The deluxe rooms at the Grands Hommes sound nice with a terrace and views. I like the area around the Pantheon, also, and find it more interesting than the area where the Muguet is (as it is closer to some other areas I like such as place Contrescarpe, , rue Monge and montagne Ste Genevieve, some churches I like, some art cinemas, etc.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Still have time to decide. Amazing how many opinions there are (friends) and how they differ.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM

Had to throw in my support for Muguet - we stayed there for our honeymoon in March and absolutely loved it. The location is a bit quieter and off the beaten path than we would normally prefer, but it ended up being perfect - the proximity to the Metro station more than makes up for it.

With the recent renovations, the rooms feel modern and cozy at the same time. I would go back there in a heartbeat!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

I'm convinced and going to try and book it!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:16 PM

We've stayed at the Hotel Muguet twice and like it. The rooms are very small though for 2 people. Good A/C, very clean, non smoking, decorated nicely though not fancy, very quiet rooms, good location, etc.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:33 AM

The rooms at the Muguet vary in size--not all are smallish. And we didn't find the time we had a smallish one all that bad.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM

We have also stayed at the Muguet and loved the fact that it's so close to Rue Cler. We also found the staff a little aloof, but very curteous. They have a rule of no eating in the room but they invite you to bring your own food to the dining area. We even kept food in the fridge. My only complaint was that the maid threw out a bottle we wanted to keep, but I should have put it away.

My only suggestion is if your room is on the second floor, to request that your room not be over the lobby. When we were there the soccer finals were on and people were in the lobby cheering at night.

We did love it and would stay again but I like to try a different areas each time we go to a city.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:40 PM

I didn't think the rooms were small at all. Much bigger than a lot of the ones in New York!