Search

Kauai Tattoos

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Tattoos

Hi, my hubby and I are going to Kauai in 12 days and before we leave the island we want to get matching tattoos celebrating our visit.Does anyone know of anywhere on the island that does good work? Has anyone gotten a tattoo over there? Also where is the best place to body surf and rent a boogie board? Any info on how to get to the Princeville Ranch Zipline, is it on the main road?Any answers will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks, Kim
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:11 AM

Why do you want matching tattoos to remember your visit? Buy a picture or some other memento. If you get tired or grow out of it, you can always throw it away.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:13 AM
Kal

Alohaaaaa,
Mrs Kal and I are "paint vets" and we peeked into a little Tatt-shop in the Kinipopo Shopping center, near Kintaros.

I think it was Garden Isle Tattoos. Very clean. Guys were typical goof balls you usually find in Tatt parlors. Good Hawaiiana selection.

My buddy from the UK got his "Kauaian armband" there and is still livin'!

Also ran into some locals who had their art done there also.

B'man...wadda fuddy duddy!

My next Tatt may be the bar code from the Rombauer Diamond Cab we had last Sat night!

A lot of cheap places to buy or rent boogie boards.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM

There is a cute little place in Hanalei that does very nice henna tattoos that last for a month or so. That is the extent of my Kaua'i tattoo knowledge. They sell fudge there too, so you can get a tattoo and get fat all at the same time!

Brennecke's Beach is supposed to be good for boogie boarding, but it gets fairly violent I think.

-Bill
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:55 AM

I also wanted a tat souvenir, but since I waited until the end of our trip so I wouldn't have to stay out of the water, the only place I found I wasn't too impressed with so didn't get it done. I think it was on Maui somewhere. However, I brought home the snorkel brochure with the picture I wanted and the place by my house was able to give me my very cute honu!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM

No suggestions on shops in Kauai but I think tattoos are great souvenirs. I've got two souvenir tattoos, one when I was a cheerleader at the Rose Bowl in '85 and one when I got scuba certified last spring. I absolutely love them both because they are reminders of fun times.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:12 PM

Anybody getting Fodor's logo tattoo?
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:13 PM

I get my ears pierced as souvenirs. Had the most recent one on the top corner of my right ear done in San Francisco in a little place right smack dab in the middle of Haight Ashbury. It is by far my favourite souvenir. Sorry, can't offer any tattoo advice but I love the idea.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:16 PM
Kal

I'll get one just for you Faina...and guess where I'll put it! :-"
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Hi Kim,

As far as boogie boarding, where are you staying ? If you are in the south then Bill is right about Brenenke beach - this is the best place to go. The shoreline is a little rocky so you just need to be a little careful. If you are experienced and comfortable in the surf then you can go to Shipwreck beach, but that is very rough so you should know what you are doing and don't go in if no one else is in the water. Kids will like to boogie board at Kiahuna beach.

There are a bunch of places to rent boogie boards. One place is along poipu road, another is across from poipu beach park. Some condo rentals (such as mine - poipu sands 124) will leave boogie boards out for guests so you don't need to rent.

As far as tattoos go they aren't for me but getting one as a souvenier does sound like an interesting idea if they are your thing. That said take a look at this article about a shop that opened up a year ago.

http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2...ews/news02.txt

Alan
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replys, Kal I will check out Garden Isle when we get there and see what develops,Alanwar thanks for the link to the article I will check it out too.We are staying on the eastside so I appreciate the info about the boogie boards and beaches too!No kids this trip and 11 days to go!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!!
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Kal

No problemo.
I may get the "Executioner's Knife" this trip over.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 01:50 PM

My wife and I both got tattoos (not matching) from Gary at Garden Isle Tattoo. He did great work. They are fairly busy so i would go see them as soon as you get there. You can always decide what you want and schedule an appointment just before you leave so it won't effect your swimming. The shop is in the Kinipopo Shopping Village. (4-356 D Kuhio Hwy)
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Big Guy, Thanks! Sounds like just what Im looking for, glad to get a recomendation!Were you there recently? What area of the Island is it at? Also thanks Alanwar for the link to the article about the other shop too. I just hope they are not too expensive!!! Thanks again!
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:28 PM

We were there in April of this year, and happened to come across Garden Isle Tattoo as it was not far from where we were staying on the east side of the island in Wailua. As Kal said...very clean, and sterile...no worries there at all. Gary had even tattooed the Public Health Inspector's mom! As a side note, try a Puka dog when you're there...and for a remote beach try Barking Sands beach..have a great holiday, and let us know how those tats turned out when you get back!
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Great to hear!!! We are staying near wailua so thats cool, Def gonna get a puka dog cuz I keep hearing how good they are!2 more days!!!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Kal

I missed Puka's Dog's the last 2 times over...not THIS time.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Big Guy, We just got back thursday from Kauai and you were soooo right about Gary @ Garden Island Tattoo! He did my husband and I on Mon. and we couldnt be happier about his work! Great guy and he did just what we wanted and the colors of the water, sand and sunset are perfect!!!!We feel like we took a piece of Kauai back with us whenever we look at our tats.Thanks for the info about him.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Glad to here everything went well. Did you get to try a Puka Dog?
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Big Guy, Loved Puka Dogs so much we went back 2 times!!!! Awesome! We sure wish they had one had one here at home!Hamuras saimin also was so good we went back again!Koke'e Lodge had the best chili and cornbread we have eaten we almost went back there too but ran out of time!