Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you are new to this board, read this. For you "regulars," merci beaucoup!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2002, 03:25 PM
BillJ

One month to go for our 3 week trip to Prague, Austria, Switzerland (our first to each country). I have been planning this trip, our longest abroad, for months. This will be a plane-train-car trip, to all the expected places. Hours of research on the net, with most of the help, hints, and direction coming from those who have been there, and posted here. I have not written a lot here, but have read much, almost daily.<BR>Have used Fodors, Michelin, and a couple of other written guides. If you want to plan your own trip, this board is invaluable. Read it frequently. Search key words, towns, etc. Ask questions here, even if you think it a dumb question. I was amazed how many times I would see a question, and wish I had asked it (like - should I buy train tickets here or there?). Ignore the idiodic responses and bickering that show up from time to time. Search only for the meat and potatoes that are here, if you spend the time.<BR>You cannot find all the answers here, or in any book. No one can tell you, "you should go here." You must read and study and research, get info, then you can make an informed decision based on what you want out of a trip.<BR>I don't know how our trip will go. I think fine, but. . . I do know that I have a very good set of expectations about where we are headed thanks to research and this board. When I return, I will post notes and kibitz and add to other posts, which hopefully will help the next traveller as I have been helped, and begin planning next years trip to ______________?<BR>I hope we all have a great time "on the continent" this year! Bon Voyage!<BR>PS: In Muerren, I will raise a glass to Ed and Julie which is probably presumptuous, because we never met. But I read so much of his that I feel I know him. Thanks Ed.

Old May 24th, 2002, 03:34 PM
xxx

Bill, unfortuately, Ed is dead. he died a few mos ago.

Old May 24th, 2002, 03:45 PM
BillJ

Yes, I know. Just my little way. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:19 PM
xxx

Doubt it. Just thought you didn't know. It was nice, not offensive.

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:31 PM
mimi taylor

He would have loved your post, Bill.<BR>I'll look forward to your report , have a wonderful time.

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Rex

It is a good and fitting post, Bill - - but if I was another newbie - - I would wonder who is this Ed and how did you learn from someone who died last fall.<BR><BR>So, I will mention www.twenj.net - - since neither you nor anyone else on this post has done so, at least not yet.<BR><BR>The website is a labor of love created by our dearly departed Edward Gehrlein - - the greatest treasure of this forum in its 5(+) year history (not that this forum "created" Ed nor his collected wisdom there!)<BR><BR>Search Gehrlein to learn more about this legend, who will never die as long as Fodorites continue to remember his passion for Rome, Bavaria and Switzerland - - and a whole lot more.<BR><BR>Raise a glass often - - and he will be simply gone - - but never forgotten.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Jim

Rex, I have often read your advice to others and am really impressed with your knowledge of travel destinations,but more importantly, I am impressed with the wonderful tribute you paid to another traveler. Tomorrrow it is off to Germany, Poland, CZ, Slovakia, Hungary and Austria for 6 weeks. Travel on!

Old May 24th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Whazzup

Bill,<BR>What's the deal w/ the "merci beaucoup" in the title to this post if your going to Prague, Austria, & Switzerland?<BR>Bait & switch .

Old May 25th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Not BillJ

Okay, I'll give BillJ a little help, which you could have done too, you know:<BR><BR>Vielen Dank!<BR>

Old May 25th, 2002, 06:13 PM
BiilJ

It's the French part of Switzerland! (will that work?)<BR><BR>Maururu<BR><BR>Danka<BR><BR>

Old May 25th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Janine

Just wanted to back up Bill's comments 100%. I leave tomorrow for 4 weeks in Europe, visiting Paris, Netherlands, Germany and the Czech Republic, much of the trip planned from this forum.<BR>And I'm still posting, and still learning.<BR><BR>Danke vielmals.

Old May 26th, 2002, 02:50 AM
Janine

Just wanted to back up Bill's comments 100%. I leave tomorrow for 4 weeks in Europe, visiting Paris, Netherlands, Germany and the Czech Republic, much of the trip planned from this forum.<BR>And I'm still posting, and still learning.<BR><BR>Danke vielmals.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:48 PM
anon

ttt

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:14 AM
jw

I'm w/you, anon, at present this board can use all the positive threads it can get. Many thanks to all who have patiently tried to answer my (sometimes eccentric)questions and gently supported my infatuation with European travel. J.