Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Atlanta airport to downtown/enough time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have an 8 hour layover in Atlanta on a Saturday in a few weeks. We arrive at 10am. Is it reasonable to go into Atlanta via MARTA, and spend some time, look around, get lunch, and be back in time for our 5:45pm flight, which is international? I've not been downtown in over 20 years, but I also don't want to get there and be nervous and have to turn right around.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:10 PM

Yes. You have enough time. With that much time, I might have lunch at the Lennox/Phipps Plaza area and roam around that neighborhood rather than downtown, but you are revisiting an old haunt.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 04:40 AM

My daughter goes to Georgia Tech, right in midtown, and it takes her about 30 minutes by MARTA to get to the airport. The Centennial Park area with the Aquarium is nice, there's a Legal Seafoods for lunch. And that's one or two stops closer to the airport than Tech
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 05:20 AM

You have plenty of time. I'd choose Midtown or Buckhead over downtown unless you are particularly interested in downtown attractions (aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, Centenial Park).
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 05:21 AM

I take it back re: Buckhead as you will be on foot. Unless you're into malls.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Glad to hear we can do it. I only said downtown, because I thought that was easiest. I'd rather do this instead. Thanks all!
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 01:21 PM

give yurself enought time to get your flight.Lines can be long on weekends, id get there 2 hours before the flight,which means leaving Buckhead around 3.Aquarium is great,but weekends are crowded and its a bit of a walk from Marta.If you really like aquariums,itd e worth the 25 buck cab ride to see it,its that good.Otherwise id just take Marta to buckhead,walk around,find a good spot to get lunch and head back. Check chowhound.com for eating suggestions
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I wouldn't go to Buckhead. 1) It's further away and 2) Buckhead was designed for cars, not walking.

Midtown would be a good option. Places to eat lunch. Walk to and around Piedmont Park. Even go to the Botanical Gardens or the High Museum if you want. Much more of a pedestrian destination than Buckhead. Two MARTA stations are just a block off Peachtree St in Midtown. I agree that in Downtown you'll need to walk several blocks to and from the MARTA station to see anything. Centennial Park and the Aquarium or World of Coke are options near downtown. Legal Seafood or the Peasant Bistro are good options in the area
http://www.peasantatl.com/