Atlanta Advice

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta Advice

My son will be playing in a baseball showcase in Atlanta in mid-June. Games will be played at either Turner Field or at Georgia Tech. I need advice on where to stay in Atlanta, how it will be getting around via car between the two places etc. I am leaning towards the airport area at this point in time because of the prices of the 4* hotels and it's location, but I'm not sure how the neighborhood is around there. I don't want to be in a bad area and have to worry about safety. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 02:23 PM

I would not stay at the airport. Turner Field and GT are about a mile apart. The airport is about 10 miles away from those fields. You could drive between the 2 fields, but remember that ATL traffic is a nightmare. Do a mapquest and go from there, I can nt help with specific hotels because I used to live there. I would suggest doing a search on tripadvisor for more hotel info. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:38 PM

The airport is too far away from everything.
Stick with downtown hotels like the eorgian Terrace. That comes up on Priceline a lot.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 04:28 PM

The airport is too far away-10 miles on the interstate. Stay downtown (Turner field is just south of downtown) or in midtown (GA Tech is next to midtown). Turner Field and GA Tech are not 1 mile apart, it's closer to 5 miles apart- it's not walkable. It would be easiest for you to have a car.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it. Are midtown and downtown safe areas?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

I will be renting a car, so that won't be a problem. How far is the Buckhead area from Turner Field and Georgia Tech?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:55 PM

Downtown and midtown are as safe as any large, urban city. There are certain parts, especially downtown where I would not go walking alone at night, but you should have no reason to be in those areas anyway. The areas with the hotels, restaurants, shops, etc. are perfectly safe. Downtown and midtown are about 5-10 minutes apart depending on traffic. Buckhead is another 20 minutes or so, again depending on traffic. Traffic in Buckhead in particular can be bad on Friday and Saturday nights as it is the major nightlife area. It is s also the best area for shopping, etc. Definitely don't stay at the airport.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 10:01 PM

I will disagree with the advice not to stay at the airport. You can get great deals on 4* hotels at the airport via Priceline. You say you will have a car. There are a couple of good restaurant options near the Hilton/ Hampton Inn/ Renaissance on Virginia Avenue (airport locations) - within walking distance of the those hotels.

No matter where you stay, I'd take MARTA to Turner Field. The most nervous I've ever been in Atlanta is walking from some of the "iffy" parking areas to the stadium. Walk in the safety of the crowd going from the MARTA station to Turner Field.

If you are staying at the airport, Turner Field is 10 miles and 15 minutes without traffic - straight up I-85.

Georgia Tech would be another 3.3 miles further north.

I've gotten great deals via Priceline on 4* hotels in Midtown and would try there first because there is more to do (including restaurants) in Midtown than Downtown.

I would be very cautious about walking around Downtown - just the few blocks around Peachtree Center (where the main hotels are)
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:32 AM
GoTravel

There is a Marriott almost on the Georgia Tech campus in Midtown. I'd stay there for the convenience. Also, there are some nice lower scale properties like a highrise Comfort Inn downtown.