Atlanta restaurant before flight?

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta restaurant before flight?

I will be picking up my son at Fort Benning in the morning and have a flight returning to Chicago at 8pm. He loves the Cheesecake Factory, and I see that there is one at Perimeter Mall and in Buckhead. I don't know the Atlanta area at all, which would be closer? Or, does anyone have a suggestion for a casual, but good food place for a late lunch/early dinner in the Atlanta area? We will have a rental car, and I don't mind getting directions on MapQuest from the restaurant to the airport. Thanks!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM

The one on Peachtree Road in Buckhead is closer - but not by a significant amount.

When will you be traveling? Traffic can be "heck" in Atlanta, so if you are traveling on a weekday I'd be on my way back toward the airport by 4, no matter what location you choose.

The Buckhead location is close to the Lenox mall and the Perimeter location is at Perimeter mall.

There are a gazillion options, but if your son likes Cheescake Factory, then treat him to that. They have a yummy Amaretto Milkshake that I love.

From Ft. Benning, head into Atlanta on 85 (first 185, then 85). 75 and 85 combine as they head north into downtown and then split again after downtown.

I just deleted my directions because Mapquest takes you a different route. There are multiple ways to get there...just be headed south to the airport by 4. You may be twiddling your thumbs with hours to spare - but you won't be caught up in the horrible Atlanta traffic. I'd probably grab a margarita at Chili's after checking in at the airport.

Congrats on picking up your DS.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. My son should be done (he's graduating from Airborne School) by about 12 noon. Then I figured about a 21/2 hour trip back to Atlanta, and be able to eat about 3pm. After we eat, we'll head for the airport. Like you said, we can always kill time having a drink or coffee, and catching up. I tried putting the address of the Buckhead Cheesecake factory on Mapquest, but it doesn't recognize the address. I'll have to keep trying.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Use the 2nd mapquest choice - or just key in the address. I got it off www.cheesecakefactory.com.

You may be cutting it tight. If so, there's a nice restaurant in College Park near the airport called "Oscar's". There are several places in downtown that come to mind - and many in midtown. If traffic is bad, any of those may be better options than heading all the way up into Buckhead - just to head back south toward the airport.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:15 PM
iceeu2

Do y'all not think maybe The Cheesecake Factory at Perimeter might be a more direct shot from Ft. Benning and back to the airport?

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Icee--I think Ft. Benning is near/in Columbus, GA so not sure that the Perimeter area would be easier for jabrown. The Buckhead Cheesecake Factory would be 5-7mi. closer, both to Fort Benning and to the airport--they'll be doing a lot of travelling that day. In my mind, it's more driving than I'd want to do--but then again I'm not doing it.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:16 AM
iceeu2

What I was thinking about is how hard it is to maneuver in and out of Buckhead..whereas for Perimeter it's just off the exit and into the mall.

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:25 AM

sad to say that oscar's in college park has apparently been closed for a couple of months, at least according to another message board i read...
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking that you may be right about traveling extra miles just to go to Cheesecake Factory. Especially if the roads are busy. Does anyone else have more ideas for restaurants closer to the airport? I appreciate your help! (And yes, Fort Benning is right by Columbus.)
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 04:48 PM

I wouldn't do it, jabrown. Not even for the Amaretto Milkshake.

There aren't a lot of choices at the airport, although there's a new shopping area that opened off Camp Creek Parkway. I'll try to find a link that lists the restaurants. There's a Barnes and Noble and a Starbuck's there. I remember seeing other restaurants - just can't remember particulars.

If it were me, I'd be comfortable heading into downtown or Midtown but not a lot further north - due to traffic.

Downtown, I'd eat at Dailey's if I wanted to splurge (especially on dessert) or Mama Ninfa's. There's a parking garage right next to both on International.

I would also head toward Piedmont Park and eat at several places there. #1 would be Einstein's, closely followed by Joe's on Juniper, the Park Tavern (overlooking the park) or the Flying Biscuit.

There are some new restaurants opening up at the new living/shopping/playing development, Atlantic Station. I just checked and Copeland's has a "Cheesecake Bistro" that is open with a wide and varied menu.

Given your time constraints, I just wouldn't drive much further north of downtown/Midtown because of potential travel problems as you head south toward the airport.

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Oscar's closed! I loved this place, too. Very sad. Some colleagues actually went to the newest restaurant, The Hardware Store, on same strip. Please do consider traffic if you are going to Cheesecake Factory in Buckhead. You can't go wrong there. The Atlanta Fish Market is very good, too if you like seafood. Very close to the Cheesecake Factory.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:52 PM

You might go ahead and check in at the airport and take Marta into town. Unfortunately there isn't a Marta station near the Cheesecake Factory in Buckhead. The Marta station at Perimeter is right behind the mall and the Cheesecake Factory is in front of the mall. You might have time to do that. I'm thinking from Columbus you could get to the airport, turn in your car and check your baggage and be on Marta headed for Perimeter by 3PM. That shouldn't be too difficult. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about checking your luggage or any of that when you come back. The only hassle would be getting through security.

In case you decide to do that you would take Marta to Lindberg. At Lindberg you might have to change trains. I can't think of what the last station is up in that area. I do know that if your on the Doraville train you would have to change. I'm sure someone else will know the name of the train you want. Anyway, take the train to Perimeter Mall. It is a fairly short walk to the front of the mall.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:49 AM
iceeu2

So, jabrown, what did you do?

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Oops, my original email is a little misleading - When I said picking him up in the morning, I meant time of day. The graduation is actually November 18th. So, if there are more suggestions, I still have time to plan. Right now, the Marta seems a little bit much, especially since I've never used it. I saw other postings recommending Dailey's , so I plan to check out the menu on a website if possible. I just don't know the Atlanta area at all, so it's kind of tough. I might have to keep in mind that by 12:00, my son may be starved, so there's always the possibility of eating somewhere in the Columbus area. I can see this will take a little more thought, but I love all of the feedback. Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:50 PM

I would not drop a rental car off to then take MARTA through the city - but then that's just me.

I had the same thought. Your son will probably be hungry. Eat in Columbus.

If you want yummy desserts, you could go to Dailey's for dessert. Directions are easy. Take the 75/85 interchange north into downtown. Exit at the International Drive exit. Turn left at the top of the ramp. Go through 1 (maybe 2) lights. As you go through the light at Peachtree Center ---- (Way I think) get in the left lane. Midway up the block (going uphill) turn left into the parking garage. Dailey's is next door. (At the intersection of Peachtree and International.

If you have time and want a view of Atlanta, cross the street at Peachtree and go into the Peachtree Plaza hotel. Sit in the revolving lounge and have a drink and watch the city go by.

You'll be right there to catch 85 South back to the airport.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:55 PM

jabrown, you may want to check out www.tripadvisor.com to see reviews on the restaurant choices in Columbus.

I don't know if Callaway Gardens appeals to you and your son at all, but you could do a visit there after lunch and before your flight out of the airport.