Atlanta Layover

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta Layover

We have 4 1/2 hours free at Hartsfield Airport between flights and are looking for something to eat and do (if enough time) in Atlanta.

Looking for good BBQ close to the airport or close to MARTA stop. Preliminary research seems to indicate that Harold's BBQ at 171 Mcdonough Blvd SE is the closest to the airport.

It would be great if we could go to Presidential Library or something else, eat and make it back to the Airport.

Any ideas welcome...........Thanks

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:36 AM
KMK

I would make sure you get back to the airport in plenty of time to get through security. Unless things have changed depending on the time of day, security really backs up at Hartsfield - I work for a company headquartered in Atlanta & we have had many people miss planes because of security delays (and the horrible Atlanta traffic.)
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Considering you want to leave for a meal (either lunch or dinner), 4.5 hours really is not enough of a layover to get out, eat and get back. The airport is rather large and offers many different dining choices. I would recommend staying and eating there. As for your choice, I have never eaten there. Fat Mac's Rib Shack is a very popular BBQ joint in Atlanta. It is located on Piedmont Rd.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:27 PM

There is a MARTA station on Piedmont up the road a couple blocks from Fat Matt's Rib Shack. Traffic is very thick there, so you could take a cab for the short ride. There is also Daddy D'z downtown which may be a little closer. Ride into midtown/piedmont from the airport not during rush hours can be as long as 30 minutes. Also be aware if the trains run late or stop for some strange reason you will be late-don't cut it close ! Trains are clean and nice though, thanks for wanting to come into the city !!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 02:29 PM
iceeu2

I would be an absolute nervous wreck if I left the airport in Atlanta....and got out into that horrendous traffic.
I would recommend finding one of the sit down restaurants in the airport and kicking back there for a while. Houlihan's is in the airport and its pretty decent and laid back.

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:21 PM

Life is short... take your chances and goto a rib shack! If you miss your plane-- simply say SORRY ABOUT THAT and jump on the next one...

Never heard of Harold's (not sure many "Atlantans" have been anywhere in SE Atlanta (just being honest folks)

Marta to Linderberg Station and cabbie to Fat Matt's on Cherishire Bridge--i send this motion. Tell the cabbie to come back and get you in an hour. The whole experience should take a good solid 3.5 hours. Leave 1 hour each way travel and 1.5 hours to throw down some of the best ribs ever featured on $40 a day with Rachel Ray (spelling?)

When you get off the plane in Atlanta head down the escalator and take the train to "Baggage Claim" At this point, look for signs for MARTA. Having change in your pocket will help you grab your tokens.

Go for it...
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank You everyone for your advice. I am going to take Wednesday and a
Amandaamanda's advice and hop the Marta downtown to Fat Matts Rib Shack.

One question: Can we walk from Marta Lindbergh station to Fatt Matt's? We are in good shape and it sounds like it might be quicker to walk because of the traffic.

Thanks again and you only go around once in life ..................
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:05 AM

Harold's is very close to the airport (and the federal pen). It is an Atlanta institution. Generations of politicians, judges, lawyers, government employees and blue collar workers (downtowners) have eaten lunch there. The sliced pork is unbelievably good. You could reach it by taxi within your time constraints, though plan on it taking a while to get a cab back to the airport. Fat Matt's is much further and not close enough from the Marta rail station to reach by foot. The live music is better than the ribs. Keep in mind that it could take you 20 minutes or 1 1/2 hours to pass through security.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Success of this mission will be directly related to the time of day you go and luck. Marta is close on Piedmont, but the traffic there is notoriously very dangerous at those intersections. Good luck and enjoy the view of the city from the trains, it's a great way to see everything !
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:08 AM

You could also call ahead and order, then if you don't have time to stay and eat, you can pick it up and head back...
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 08:29 AM

Not sure if this is too late, but wanted to offer my comments as well.

There is a new resturant, Michon's located on Virginia Avenue in Atlanta and is a 5-10 minute cab ride from the airport...if that. It is right around the corner from the Delta Airlines corporate office. The resturant serves all smoked/bbq food. Just found it as I am officed in midtown ATL, but do business all around the city.

I am one of the "Atlantans" that have been in SE Atlanta and am sure you will get a great meal there as well. If you venture out to Lindbergh...be careful of your time. From the airport it is about a 25-minute ride on MARTA each way. Depending on the time of your flight, security averages about 30-45 minutes.

Enjoy your brief visit to the A-T-L!!!