Driving into downtown Atlanta at rush hour?

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving into downtown Atlanta at rush hour?

Need help from you savvy Atlantans here: My consulate at which I have to submit my passport renewal in person is located at 600 Peachtree Street, N.E, which sure looks like downtown to me -- intersects with North Avenue. Must be some other kind of office during the day, since they're only open from 5 to 7 Tuesdays and Thursdays and don't answer the phone (recording only).

WHEN is the best time to head into downtown from the airport area -- closer to 5, or closer to 7? Nevermind that there is no good time, of course, but minimize traffic (both coming and going if possible).

Thanks!

B/
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 05:36 AM

Actually, the most savvy option might be to take MARTA. If you're coming from the airport area, you could hop on at the airport or College Park, get off at the North Avenue station and walk the few blocks to the office. That would cut out the traffic nightmare altogether.

Just my thoughts, others may have better ideas.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Bingo! I never thought of MARTA -- that's perfect, and since I'm at Lakewood, should be able to get on at Ft. McPherson the easiest. Thanks a million!

B/
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:34 AM

if marta works for you, it'll probably be the simplest method...but really, driving into downtown at 5pm isn't that bad when you're coming in from the southside - i work pretty close to the airport myself (#237 on I-75) & used to live off of the howell mill exit (#252B on I-75, two exits after the downtown connector split) and it almost never took me more than 30-35 minutes to make it home (with it taking 25 if no traffic)...i pity people heading into town from the north side though...
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 01:49 AM

I agree that the drive going into town from the Southside isn't that bad.

To miss the traffic (as much as possible) I'd either head north arouond 4:30 or wait until closer to 6. The only part that clogs up is around 20 for a bit and as you go past Grady. I'd probably get off at Freedom Parkway and head east then head north on North or Ponce. Trying to figure out where the office might be - and what it is during the rest of the time.

Even if you do the drive right at 5 the traffic won't be anything like the north side of Atlanta.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:55 PM

birgator, I was curious so I did a drive-by this afternoon as I came through town. It's the Bank of America building - right at the intersection of North Ave and Peachtree as you said. There's an entrance to the parking garage on the north side of North (past Peachtree). Mick's is at the next corner south on P'tree.

Safe travels through downtown.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

It's a good thing I looked again -- somehow I missed Starrs' posts which are so very helpful! How sweet of you to take a drive-by -- now I know exactly how to go in August (didn't go last month since my passport photos were not correctly posed or trimmed). Much appreciated; feel much more comfortable about finding it with those directions and knowing WHAT to look for.

B/
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:19 PM

Glad to do it. Funny thing - I had lunch today at the Pleasant Peasant and as I looked at the Bank of America building I wondered about this post. Glad you found it (the post) and I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding the location. I am a firm believer of catching Freedom Parkway to bypass the downtown connector during rush hour. Works for me every time!

Of course, you may want to consider a stop (or a drive thru) Krispy Kreme on the way back south. It's not out of the way - if you plan well, anyway!

Safe travels.