asian restaurants New york city

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are loooking for an Asian/Vietnameese/Thai restaurant for tonight. Lower Manhattan or Midtown. Doesn't have to be fancy but would love some great ,authentic food! Any suggestions
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:44 AM

I imagine this information is pretty easy to find on menupages.com and such.

I think it is 32nd Street that is very popular for Korean restaurants. I ate at Shila (spelling?) which I really enjoyed.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 08:35 AM

Menupages.com lists 64 vietnamese restaurants and 207 thai in NY. A budget would help narrow down recos.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:18 AM

There is really no great Vietnamese food in the NY area. If you want pho, you could try Cong Ly in Chinatown at 124 Hester Street. It is no frills.

For Thai, I can recommend some places if you are willing to travel to Queens.

For Chinese, there are so many options, depending on whether or not you care about decor, region, seafood or not, etc. One excellent Cantonese place in Chinatown, on Mott Street just below Canal Street, is Amazing 66. It is very popular with local Chinese and gets quite crowded so plan to get there by 6:30 or so, or plan to wait a few minutes. If you decide to go, I can recommend dishes.

Again, we need more info in order to recommend.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:57 AM

I will recommend a new place called Kajitsu in the East Village.. This is from New York Magazine, new restaurant reviews-

414 E. 9th St., nr. First Ave. 212-228-4873

In the Shojin, or Japanese vegetarian kaiseki tradition, devised centuries ago by Buddhist monks, vegetables weren’t transformed to mimic meat, but celebrated in all their seasonal glory.
And so it will be at Kajitsu, soft-opening this weekend in the East Village space formerly occupied by Ebisu.
Chef Masato Nishihara mastered his ancient craft at Kitcho in Kyoto, where he also studied the affiliated arts of the tea ceremony and flower arranging, and plans to expand his Shojin horizons here by incorporating American produce in his set menus ($45 and $65). They’ll also feature soba, made daily, and fu, the protein-packing building block of Shojin cuisine made from gluten and rice flour.
(Kajitsu’s owner is heir to a 250-year-old fu manufacturer that once supplied the imperial court.)
The 28-seat restaurant evokes the ceremonial tea rooms its designer has built in Kyoto, with a long counter carved from a single slab of Japanese zelkova, just one of the various woods used for the custom furniture, and antique Japanese dishware that’s historically restored rather than replaced.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 12:46 PM

http://www.lecolonialnyc.com/
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM
mp

Szechuan Gourmet on 39th between 5th and 6th - had an INCREDIBLE meal there this past weekend. Stick to the szechuan dishes - spicy pork belly with leeks and chilis; dan dan noodles; szechuan dumplings; spicy prawns with vegetables. It got 2 stars from the NYTimes this past summer and is all over the blogs - like a chinatown restaurant in midtown. They take reservations and serve beer and cold sake.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM

Oh, yes! I forgot about Szechuan Gourmet! The OP has probably left for dinner already!