Reload this Page >

Barrow St New York restaurant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM
kdappleton

Hi, We're seeing a play on Barrow Street on Saturday night. Could anyone recommend a nice place to eat with good food that doesn't break the bank? Thanks for your help.

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perilla is on Jones Street around the corner. There is also the Barrow Street Ale House that's really inexpensive and nice. Bar food - good atmosphere.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
kdappleton

Thank you for your suggestion, but Perilla was booked that night. Probably looking for something more than bar food -- not us, other couple we're traveling with -- and want to keep everyone happy. Any other suggestions would be really appreciated.

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 03:02 AM

Annisa is a great restaurant on Barrow at #13. Might be too expensive..you can check the menu on menupages.

Barfry is a new place on nearby Carmine Street that has been generating lots of good reviews. Not a quiet place, though.

Le Gigot on Cornelia Streeet is an adorable, if a bit cramped, place with excellent food. If you go, their crab cakes are a must.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 03:51 AM
mp

Snack Taverna at 63 Bedford, just up the street, is a really good, upscale Greek, terrific interesting wines and very good fish specials.

Across 7th Avenue on Carmine is Deborah - upscale comfort food.

Blue Ribbon Bakery is very good. Little Owl is terrific. the new Centro Vinoteca just got good reviews and is right there on 7th Avenue and Morton.

I could go on . .

Check out menus at www.menupages.com
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 08:51 AM

I'm dying to try Little Owl, but if Perilla's booked you're probably out of luck for that one. If there is a place you really want, ask them to wait list you. I got the original reservation I wanted at Perilla due to cancellations (they confirm the day before and drop you if you don't call back)
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:34 AM
kdappleton

Thanks to all. Nicest people in the world on this site. Always great advice. Have booked at Deborah's,

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 12:53 PM
kdappleton

For all of you, and especially mp, all four of us really enjoyed dinner at Deborah's. Great food, wine, prices, staff. Thanks so much and we would have never found it without you.

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 05:09 PM
mp

Oh I'm glad it was good - I've actually never been - I've walked by it tons and keep meaning to go -- but friends I trust like it very much. But they also say Snack Taverna is better than Deborah, a more interesting menu - try that next time - Snack Taverna I can personally vouch for, it's one of my favorites.

That particular small area is chock full of really good places - Blue Ribbon, Mas, deborah, Central Market, Little Owl, Snack Taverna , AOC Bedford, Yama, . . . they're all within 4 blocks of each other!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Mas is excellent, but expensive compared to some of the places mentioned. I'd also mention 'ino on Downing Street for light Italian fare, terrific Itlanian wine and atmosphere (if you can squeeze in).