Arriving Newark Airport

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arriving Newark Airport

I have finally arranged a short trip to New York in April. we will be flying in to Newark airport and there will be three of us, my question is what is the best way to get to our hotel in Manhatten in the Times square area. Should we book the shuttle bus in advance or just get a cab or what? we should be arriving about 4pm or so
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:51 AM

You can't book the shuttle bus in advance. Just buy tickets and hop on. It's called Olympia Trails and goes to both the Port Authority and near Grand Central.

A taxi is usually about $60 to the Times Square area, but that depends entirely on traffic. At that time of the day, you could wait for the Lincoln Tunnel for 30 minutes, and that would increase your ride considerably. But traffic depends entirely on the day. Is this a weekday? Sunday afternoon? That makes a huge difference.

At the beginning of rush hour, my advice would be to skip the road entirely and take the Air Train to the EWR stop and then hop on any Manhattan-bound train (there's a set fare for the Airtrain/NJ Transit combo). This will be the fastest way.

From Penn Station, take a taxi to your hotel, or if you don't have much luggage, take the subway or even walk, depending on where your hotel is.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM

Are you arriving at 4pm on a weekday or weekend? Will you have heavy bags?

To avoid traffic, I would take the Airtrain from the airport to connect to NJ Transit into Penn Station, but I never take more than one carry-on. There is a lot of lifting with all of those transfers.

A cab is easiest, as you will go from door to door with only the wait at the taxi line to deal with and an employee will make sure you are headed in the right direction.

The airport is renovating the bus/shuttle area and when we flew in last month, I was horrified by how horribly a non-English speaking tourist was treated when she could not find her shuttle. I only knew what to look for because I have flown in and out of Newark so many times. For the time being, I would not recommend trying the shuttles unless you are hardy - and for three, the shuttle won't save you any money over a cab.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM

As others have mentioned there are a lot of variables:

If you have only carry-ons and don;t mind schlepping the Air Train to NJ Transit to subway will be cheapest - and reasonably fast (but you must be able to deal with stairs and long passageways)

Shuttle bus to Port Authority for 3 is about the same cost as cab - IF you don;t hit a lot of traffic. If you arrive at 4pm weekday you may well be in hideous traffic - and shuttle bus (NOT Super Shuttle which is awful) to Port Authority and then walking makes sense

If you don;t care about money - or are coming on a weekend when traffic is much lighter - a cab is the simplest.

(IMHO I never do anything but cabs - but I am allergic to luggage on public transit - although I take the subway everywhere when not schlepping.)
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

It looks as if the best then is to get the train to Penn station and then take a cab. Will there be lots of stairs etc doing this?
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM

With 3 of you, just take a taxi. The AirTrain/NJTransit alone will cost you $45, and not including the taxi ride.

Just taxi over, or use a car service.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:02 AM

I strongly prefer a car service from EWR, because the cabs are not NYC cabs and many of them are, shall we say, not professional.

(The only taxi crash I've been in was in a non-NYC cab coming into Manhattan from EWR.)

A car service is the same price, or less, than a taxi.

www.dial7.com
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Yes - the trains at Penn Station come in on a lower level than the ticket concourse (from which there are escalators to the street). From the platform to the concourse is two flights of about 12 or 14 steps each.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this helpful info. How does one organise a car service?
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM

Go to web sites of Dial 7 or Carmel, check out coupons/special offers and then call them.

Be sure to tell them if you want the more expensive "meet and greet" or the basic service (you reserve in advance - but don't call them until you land - so don;t have to pay for waiting time).