Chicago Advice Needed: Which W Hotel?

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Advice Needed: Which W Hotel?

My husband and I are traveling to Chicago the weekend of May 16 and want to use Starwood points for our hotel rooms. The Westins are booked, but the W City Center and the W Lakeshore are available. We've stayed at W hotels a couple of times before and found them nice, but the rooms are usually a bit small. Any advice on which would be nicer or have a better location, etc? THANKS!
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM

the W Lake Shore is probably a better location. it's right on the lake front and closer to Michigan Ave shopping & sights. the W City Center is in the financial district so there's not a whole lot of night life in that area outside of the bar in the hotel. i've only stayed at the City Center and thought their rooms were small and not particularly great. unsure about the ones in Lake Shore tho.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 03:25 PM

I stayed at the W Lakeshore a couple of years ago. Loved the location--you can walk out the door and go for a run or walk along the lake--also close to the gourmet food store/deli where Oprah shops--I forget the name. My room was not huge, by any means, but bigger than rooms in the New York Ws where I've stayed.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! That's very helfpul!
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Now the web site has put the Westin Michigan Ave. back on the list of choices (it had said unavailable earlier). How does that compare to the Lakeshore W?
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 07:49 AM

I have booked a room at the W Lakeshore and noticed that the valet parking is $42 dollars per day.

Does anyone have suggestions on other lots in the area to park in? I will be there on a Thursday to Sunday. It seems to be near the Northwestern Univ. Medical campus...would rates in the self park garages nearby be much cheaper? Any suggestions?

Does anyone know the name of the store MaryAnnTex is referring to where OPRAH shops?

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:19 AM

I believe the store is fox & obel, 401 E. Illinois st.