Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any recent experiences with these Dublin/Pleasanton CA restaurants: Frankie Johnnie & Luigi; Stacey's at Waterford; Fontina; Eddie Papa's American Hangout?

Search

Any recent experiences with these Dublin/Pleasanton CA restaurants: Frankie Johnnie & Luigi; Stacey's at Waterford; Fontina; Eddie Papa's American Hangout?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted about a month ago looking for a restaurant in the Dublin CA area and got some suggestions. This Thursday is when we'll be there and just wanted to check back and see if there's anything new to add about these or any other in the vicinity. We're staying near the Hacienda Mall and want something fairly close. Thanks!
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 06:28 AM

Not specifically in the area you requested, but the FJ&L in Mountain View makes the best pizza on the planet. They serve other Italian goodies as well. Assuming the one in Dublin does the same. Buon appetito!
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

And pizza might be just want we want, as a number of us are flying in from the east coast that day and will be time and jet-lagged. Thanks.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:28 AM
dmlove

You're coming from the East Coast? Don't eat California pizza - you'll be very disappointed. As far as FJ&L having the best pizza on the planet, well, you know how they say "different strokes"?

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

We're in the DC area and the pizza here can't compare to NJ/NYC/New Haven but some is better than others. I was interested in Stacey's until I looked at the wine list today. No reds in the $20 range at all, only 3 under $35 and another under $40. I would think a California restaurant (that isn't one of the high end SF/LA places)could have a few more reasonably priced wines, given all the good, reasonably priced CA wines out there. We've often paid that much for a bottle, but I'd like some more options when I do. Oh well.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM

I'll repeat dmlove's astonishment: You're coming in from the East Coast?

And you're looking for an Italian restaurant here on the West Coast?

I would recommend that you look at some other type of restaurant. You'll probably be disappointed in what we consider "Italian" here, especially the pasta (however, San Francisco's Little Italy is different).

Otherwise, check on yelp.com which will give you some adequate reviews on the restaurants you have mentioned. None of them seem like great standouts and a couple of them seem to be in Pleasanton instead of in Dublin. Did you want to stick to Dublin?
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM

I've enjoyed pizza in Italy and in NYC, among other places on the planet. Maybe I should have written that FJ&L makes the best pizza in the SF Bay area. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Betsy, what's the pizza like? We prefer thin crust without a ton of cheese and sauce--much more in the Italian style we've enjoyed in Italy, Rome in particular.

I'm not looking for an Italian restaurant in particular, but something close to where we're staying near the Hacienda Mall. None of the options in the mall look that appealing to me, so I started looking elsewhere. Want to try to avoid nationwide chains if possible (and already know what to expect from those), so am looking for local restaurants that would offer something for different likes (as there will probably be 4-8 of us going to dinner).
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM

I like the pasta better than the pizza at FJ&L's. It's good, not great IMO. I've eaten at the ones in Mountain View and San Jose. In Dublin/ San Ramon I would go with bbq at Back Forty. http://www.backforty.us/locations.htm
The location says San Ramon, but it's on the border of Dublin. I see one of my fave pizza's in San Jose is also in Dublin: http://www.amicis.com/location_dublin.htm
RuthMc, their crust is thin. Also, you ought to check out downtown Pleasanton. We really liked the Blue Agave Club on Main Street: http://www.blueagaveclub.com/

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM

Mountain View is NOT NEAR Dublin/Pleasanton.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM

Hi Denise- I said I've eaten at the FJ&L in Mountain View, not that it's near Pleasaton. It's a chain with a restaurant in Pleasanton. Please re-read the posts by Betsy and I. Thank you.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM

Oops! I apologize. I did not read carefully.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM

No problem Denise.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Back from our trip and didn't see the later posts before we left, but we did wind up at Fontina's in Pleasanton. It was very good and reasonably priced. Had saffron ravioli, which was different and interesting. Downtown Pleasanton was quite cute and we got to eat outside as it was quite warm while we were there. So thanks for all the help.