Daughter marrying in Dublin... need a nice restaurant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our daughter will be getting married in Dublin in a few weeks. We will be taking her friends coming from the U.S., to lunch. Since we're hosting the wedding, we want a middle price restaurant, not anything too expensive, but not a pub, either. Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks for the help...
Sandy
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

I'm bumping this up because I really need an answer... we'll be leaving this Thursday 9/11, for Dublin. Thanks...
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:58 PM

The Shelbourne Hotel is located just off of Grafton Street at St. Stephen's Green. It's historic and elegant and they do a lovely and substantial tea. The restaurant is expensive, but as I recall, the tea was very reasonable. It would also be a nice gesture to do something "traditionally Irish" for your American guests and this would fit the bill.

Look up the Shelbourne so you can discuss the history with your friends. I'm hazy on details, but an important part of the 1917 uprising took place here.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:40 PM

Sandy - what area of Dublin are you staying in? Are you hosting the lunch after the ceremony and if so, where is that? When you say "middle price" what do you mean per person.

We dine out a lot in Dublin and usually visit the higher prices restuarants. I put this together last year for a friend visiting Dublin. Obviously, the prices will have gone up. Hope this helps.

Bangkok Café ? Parnell Street
It is two years since I?ve been there so hopefully it is still good. Marvelous yet simple Thai food at a reasonable price. Décor is Dublin Slum Dwelling circa 1910 ? NO kidding so don?t be turned off. Used to be frequented by the likes of Bono and most embassy staff in Dublin. It is in an awful area of Dublin just off O?Connell street so get a taxi there and back and don?t go walk-about and DON?T park your car in the area! Reasonably priced

Bad Ass Café ? Temple Bar
Great, noisy place for a quick pizza in the Temple Bar area. Reasonably priced.

The Commons ? Stephan?s Green
Expensive and ?stuffy?, but excellent French food and good service. Very Expensive.

L?Ecrivian ? Lower Baggot Street
A personal favorite. Great big noisy restaurant with some of the best food I have eaten Dublin. Friendly service. Expensive.

Good World Café ? South Great Georges Street
Dublin is not a city that you go to to sample Chinese cuisine but if you DO get the yearning, try this one. Mind you, when we go its with my BIL who is Chinese, has known the owner for years and just tells them what he wants and how he wants it cooked, so I probably shouldn?t judge.

Jacob?s Ladder ? Nassau Street
Another favorite of mine. It is arranged on multi-levels of a Georgian house. Food is superb and unique. Great place for lunch, but book ahead. Moderate - Expensive

La Stampa ? Dawson Street
It?s been three years since I was there but I believe the food is still good. The interior of the restaurant is worth the trip ? very Belle Epoque, as the ?Bridgestone? says. Perfect for lunch if you?ve had a hard day shopping in Grafton Street. Expensive

Fitzers ? Dawson Street
Always busy at lunchtime. Good atmosphere and tasty food. Reasonable

Roly?s Bistro ? Ballsbridge Terrace
I wouldn?t make a special visit, as I think that there are far better restaurants in Dublin, but if you find yourself in Dublin 4 (Ballsbridge & Donnybrook) its worth the visit. Resonable

Thorton?s ? Portobello Road
I have been told that there are only two Michelin Star restaurants in Dublin, and this is one of them. I had THE best meal of my life here last September. It was indescribably good ? every course was a masterpiece. Also, I loved there service for although it is frightfully expensive, the service had the usual Dublin friendliness and casualness. Great wine list too. I believe that, the full meal with nice wine, which the food deserved, was about US$100 - $120 per person and worth EVERY penny. A couple of German businessmen, on an expense account seated near us, were having a ?degustation? menu which featured a different glass of wine with every course (I think there were five courses) and were completely legless by the end of the evening! If I were doing this again, this is the way I?d go!!!!! Very Expensive, but worth it!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the posts. The wedding party will be staying in the center of Dublin for a few days before the wedding. The wedding will take place in Dublin mid-morning, then the wedding party will be going by hired bus to Wicklow, where the reception will take place at the Glendaloch Hotel in the evening. The lunch will be the day before, just her the bride and groom and her friends who will be traveling quite a distance (as are we) to help celebrate her marriage. Afternoon tea sounds great. I'll look into that. And, the restaurant suggestions are wonderful. Thanks so much everyone! Sandy
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We had our wedding anniversary dinner last month at La Stampa. Worth every penny. And the dining room so romantic and beautiful.