Restaurants and Must See attractions in Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Dublin for five days, and are looking for some recommendations. We are staying at the Shelbourne. We have been to Ireland before, but had only spent one harried day in Dublin itself. During that visit, we did get to the Guiness factory tour and also Jamison [not necessarily my priorities normally....... and since it was a Monday, could not do any museums, as they were closed [at least, I think it was a Monday]. I'm looking more for 'local' restaurants, rather than touristy ones............. We enjoy interacting with locals when we travel, and try to stay away from 'typical' tourist restaurants, and have had wonderful experiences.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM

One place I can advise you not to go is a restaurant along the river that has a huge dinner and Irish dancing for entertainment. It was the worst food and music. We didn't eat our dinner and left half-way through the program. Wish I could remember the name of the place - it was just off O'Connell Street.

We liked seeing the Book of Kells at Trinity College.

If you can find a day trip or if you have a rental car, you may want to check out Newgrange.
http://www.knowth.com/newgrange.htm
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 09:58 AM

This probably won't be a lot of help as it's from 4 years ago, but we loved every restaurant we went to, and we did meet local people. The Food Hall on Lower Liffey Street was fabulous and I really recommend it for lunch. And in another market (can't remember the name now but it's in my report) the Hot Chocolate Shots were out of this world! The Italian restaurant we went to was full of what we took to be locals, and everywhere people were so friendly and nice.

I want to go back to Dublin!

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM

The best chowder I ever had was at Ryan's FXB Grills in Dublin. With a shot of Jameson's it cost €11,20.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. We will not be renting a car on this trip. After our time in Dublin, we will be heading by train, up to N.Ireland.

We will be staying at the Shelbourne while in Dublin. I am hoping to find a couple places that truly give a local feel, and not so much touristy, if there are any close by our hotel.

Also, I was wondering if there were any recommendations for Irish tea. I read that one is served at our hotel, but wanted to know if that was the best experience.