Fun and Inexpensive visit to Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a 24 year old student and I was hoping somebody might be able to suggest some places to stay in Dublin for my 4 day visit(inexpensive, I am on a students budget). I want to experience to beauty of Dublin and the pub life, of course. So what general area do you recommend we stay, and what should we see? Are there any places outside of Dublin you recommend us making it too? (There will only be me and another girl)
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Recommendations from another travel board:<BR>Abbey Court Hotel (may also have small apts. with cooking facilities)<BR>Temple Bar Hotel<BR>Barnacles (Hostel)<BR><BR>They also advise that the safer areas in Dublin are those divisible by '2': Dublin 2, Dublin 4, etc.<BR><BR>Don't miss the Literary Pub Crawl!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:45 AM

What does the 'Dublin 2', 'Dublin 4' refer to? Is it a code like London SW1? Is it listed on most maps? I haven't yet noticed this.<BR>thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:50 AM

I stayed at Avalon House in 1999 and had a very positive experience there.<BR>http://www.avalon-house.ie/<BR><BR>I also took a daytrip to Glendalough which I thought was really cool.<BR>
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
&quot;They also advise that the safer areas in Dublin are those divisible by '2': Dublin 2, Dublin 4, etc.&quot;<BR><BR>Not necessarily true. I had a wonderful stay in both Clontarf and Fairview, which are NOT in areas of Dublin divisible by 2. Don't fall for that theory....<BR>
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 09:38 AM

Erin432 - Ignore the comment that areas diveided by 2 are better...completely silly. Anyway onto hostels..Abbey court is very central, Barnacles as mentioned before is in temple bar literally steps from a lot of pubs and nightlife. This might be what you are looking for. There is a cheaper one on the liffey about 5 minutes walk up called the four courts hostel. Also there is a hostel on Adelaide Road that offer &quot;budget accommodation&quot;. Places you might enjoyin Temple bar are &quot;the Temple Bar@, the Quays bar, Porter House (Home brew beers and always live music), The Old Dubliner. Al these place you will find people your age. (God that sounds really stupid but I mean its a fun and lively 20 something places!)<BR><BR>You can get 1 day bus trips outside the city to Newgrange (Really interesting) and down south to Avoca, Glendolough. If you are coming in the warmer season I would reccommend Glendolough as there are some great walks around there.<BR><BR>Take the open top bus tour of the city and definately stop at the Guinness hopstore for the tour. You get a free pint of Guinness at the end in the Gravity bar at the top. It is a full view of Dublin from hear and beautiful on a sunny day. It also stops at many of the Museums etc.<BR><BR>Hang out in one of the beautiful parks on a sunny day. St Stephens Green is atthe top of Grafton Street. Merrion Square is a beautiful park like a small oasis in the city.<BR><BR>Have a great time you will find so many places to go and see.<BR><BR>Enjoy!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

All of your advice is extremely helpful. I am amazed at the kindness of all of you on this website. Thanks so much, and keep it coming! I will have a great trip, thanks to all of you!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:13 PM

Monique - Did you stay in a dorm room or a private? What were the rooms like?
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 02:47 AM

Sorry if the 'divisible by 2' advice is nonsense - I took it from another board, figuring that girls travelling alone would appreciate the tip. Have a great time, erin!
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Ardfert

The National Gallery and National Museums (3) are well worth a visit. Admission cost: Free.