Looking for Restaurants in Dublin

Jan 29th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Looking for Restaurants in Dublin

Everyone has been so helpful in giving advice on areas to stay in Dublin, so I'm hoping for some good restaurant advice. We're having a bit of trouble getting reservations on Valentines Day--guess we waited to late. This will be our first day in Dublin and we'd like to have a nice, moderately priced (less than 100 euros) place to eat. We're not particular on types of food, something casual with good food would be great--continental, Italian, French, tapas whatever is fine. I've been looking at menu pages and I must say the choices are overwhelming, so some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jan 29th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Look for a place called Jacob's Ladder- one of the best meals I've ever had (this was fall 2006). It's in a second story townhouse, can't remember the street but I believe it's east of Temple Bar. Searching for that name should find it.
Jan 29th, 2008, 07:17 AM

On Sunday I watched a Rachel Ray vacation show in Dublin, and the places she went looked incredible! I recall one named Fire which looked really good (http://www.mansionhouse.ie/fire/index.html) or maybe you can catch the re-run.
Jan 30th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I will check them out. Has anyone eaten at Bang?
Jan 30th, 2008, 06:54 AM

I don't know that Fire is all that great. I haven't eaten there myself but I've heard bad reports.

You don't say where in Dublin you're staying, but these are the ones I like -

Bang Cafe - good fusion food - www.bangrestaurant.com on Merrion Row.

L'Gueuleton - www.lgueuleton.com - gorgeous French food - doesn't take bookings so you have to queue up, or put your name down for a table and then they contact you while you're having an aperitif in the pub opposite - this might suit you very well.

I love Yamamori noodles on George's Street - www.yamamorinoodles.com - for Japanese food.

Finally, for tapas in a romantic atmosphere try the tiny Port House, it's in South William Street (off Wicklow Street) and the phone no. is 01-6770298.
Jan 30th, 2008, 08:06 AM

Goodness...I really think its hard to get a booking now. Nightmare that it is on Valentines.

OK Bang - Very nice but probably booked out
Fire - rip off and I felt average food. A catering company opened as a joint venture with the corporation I think and I ate here twice..neither was "great"

Jacobs Ladder will be booked out and you can do better these days

Port house is tiny but nice and relaxed and good tapas

I like the Bistro for Atmosphere on Castle Market Steet just beside Drury st.

L'Gueleton I hear is fab and you drop your name in and go across the road for a pint in the Market bar. That could be a chance and try it early eve.

Oh a nice casual but good Italian isDunne & Crescenzi on S. Frederick street. Good wines.

Across the road from this is Georges wine bar..nice place and the food looks gopod. They have music and a piano downstais. Good reviews as well.

Eden in Temple bar is good as well. Try all as you will have a hard time getting a booking now...I tried the other day!
Jan 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Heard back from Jacob's Ladder, Fire and Bang and they all have reservations open that evening. Looking at the various replies here and reading reviews and I think we'll go with Bang.
Appreciate all the suggestions, some might work for other nights.