johnny fox's pub

Search

johnny fox's pub

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
johnny fox's pub

heard mention of this pub here and it appeared to receive good reviews from the locals.

can anyone tell me where it is located -- city etc,, going to ireland sept/oct this year and always happy to find a new fun pub

hope this isn't a duplicate as I sent it once but could'nt find it on the ireland thread

thanks
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:29 PM

It's a 20-25 minute drive out of Dublin. I haven't been (but remember reading about it on a recent trip to Dublin). If you haven't already seen it, their website will give you some more informaion. Take a look at:

http://www.jfp.ie/home.htm
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:28 PM

The pub is not far out of Dublin, in County Wicklow, or near the Wicklow Mountains. Its a great pub, lot craic, and and loads of atmosphere, especially cigarette smoke.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 02:34 PM

Did a Google and found this link.

http://www.seafoodcirclepubs.com/hdo...ohnniefoxs.asp

Alison
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:19 PM
Amy

I went to Johnny Fox's about 3 or 4 years ago; the traditional music was the draw. We went by taxi, I believe; it was kind of in the middle of not much else.

There was an awesome fiddler and some dancers and other musicians. The food was tasty, nothing particularly memorable. It's definitely atmospheric!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:50 PM

I spent my birthday at Johnny Fox's last January. Definitely a fun place, but since my friends took me there, I haven't a clue of how to get there. It was about a half an hour out of Dublin, as I remember.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 12:41 AM

tropo - there's no more cigarette smoke now as a result of the ban!

Johnny Fox's is in the Dublin mountains, south of the city. It's reputed to be the highest pub in Ireland.

The easiest way to get there is by taxi (about 25 mins from the city centre), or you can get the 44B bus.

It's a good night out. It can be a bit touristy, but locals go there too. Last time I was there was a number of years ago and the food was was very tasty but expensive from what I can remember.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 01:51 AM

Ok here is the scoop. Johnny Fox's is in the Dublin Mountains and you would need t book a taxo to and from the place.

You have 2 options:

1 Pay a set price for the "hooley" room that includes Dinner (Somked Salmon/fish/veggie). You are seted at long tables with Benches and its a lively atmosphere. After there is a show with trad music and dancing. Most people I have taken seemed to like it. I have taken foreign guests mostly and they got a kick out of it. This is a separate room from the pub.

The pub is a restaurant as well (Seafood is a specialty) and there is music most nights and the bar. You do NOT have to eat here. Outside are tables and chairs to relax and have a drink. They also have a "smoking bus" should you need it. It may be closed though as they are using it as a loophole in the law. If its a nice evening it would be beautiful up there. I go once a year on a warm day and sit outside with a few friends.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:05 AM

We have only one night in Dublin, and we are staying at the Airport Holiday Inn. Would it to too far to travel (by bus?) to Johnny Fox's Pub? It sounds like it would be a great way to spend our first night in Ireland.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:54 AM

unfortunately it really would be too far to travel - it's at the other side of the city altogether. If you had a car it wouldn't be too bad as you could take the M50 and bypass the city centre - you'd probably get there in about an hour. By bus though it would take a lot longer - especially as you would have to change buses in the city.

There are plenty of good pubs in the city centre that would be a lot more accessible for you. Oliver St John Gogartys in Temple Bar has live music and there are plenty of nice restaurants in that area. Otherwise, you could try Mulligans on Poolbeg Street which is reputed to serve the best Guinness in Dublin. Kehoes on South Anne Street is also another great place - very like a traditional Irish pub.

Fox's is good, but I don't think it's so much better than anywhere in the city that you would spend half of your one & only day in the city trying to get there and back!