Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Another fun poll: Does anyone else plan trips as far out as I do??

Old May 31st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Part of it for me is that I'm a teacher, and I have to book in advance to get a good deal on flights on vacation weeks. But I already have all my trips planned for the next year, and everyone tells me I'm crazy!

Anguilla in June
Seattle in July
Maui/Kauai in August
Paris in February 2007
Las Vegas in April 2007

Yikes! Sometimes I fear that when the trips roll around, I won't be interested in them anymore (Of course, that's never happened!) Am I the only one who does this??
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:17 PM
emd

No, of course you aren't the only one, and it is smart to do it for sake of booking frequent flyer tickets (which can require 320-330 days ahead for international tickets- so if you were getting FF tickets for PAris you'd have to have them by now) and watching hotel prices or booking hotel rewards.

Not to mention it keeps me sane and motivated in many other ways to have a trip or trips to plan.
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:18 PM

I am also a teacher and I plan far in advance just like you do. Teaching is great and I love having all summer to travel. However, during the school year I can only take vacations on very specific dates which just happen to be the most popular travel times for families due to school breaks.

I get my lodging as far out as possible and get airline tix when prices look good. I have already reserved a condo for December 06 and an apt in Paris for July 07. Just getting started to find lodging for Spring Break 07.
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:10 PM

Well...I'm a teacher too, and you guessed it. I plan far ahead for the same reasons as the rest of you. I would probably do it anyway though.

St. John in 17 days
Seattle in late July
Maui in Feb 07
Rome in April 07 - just reserved the apartment.
Kauai in July 07

-Bill
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:39 AM

I can't stand to plan trips far in advance...I always feel like I never know what everyone (in my family) will be doing and whether we can actually go.

Seems like circumstances change too much, especially with dh's job, I can't tell you how many vacations he's had to interupt because of some meeting he just "had" to be at, as if the company would go under if he wasn't there...
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:49 AM

bg....You are NOT alone...They're everywhere .....My TA had a client several years ago.Her husband was a successful money manager type,o/c to the point where he would not take any "vacation" time off.She would go into my TA the very first day of business following the New Year,usually Jan 2,whatever...The couple was very high end, upscale.She used CN magazine as her guidebook.She would plan all the holiday weekends for the year on that one day...President's Day, Memorial Day.July 4,Labor Day and Thanksgiving.And she stuck to her plans.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:09 AM
emd

That's another good topic- do you have to postpone vacations due to work.

I have been fortunate to have had a successful business of my own for 5 yrs, and prior to that worked inside a large law firm in a professional position, serving clients. I have made it a point to never give up vacation for work. I plan in advance to get done what needs to be done for the time while I am gone, and get someone to cover for me if something big is going on while I am gone. I work darn hard long hours when I am at work, and travel whenever it is called for, but not when my vacations are scheduled. I've never postponed or cancelled a vacation; I've been asked twice but haven't done it as I didn't think it was necessary either time (and at worst, it was once a big control issue for a boss, wanting to tell me I HAD to stay and could not go-it was ridiculous).

My family looks forward to time away together too much, and we really need the time alone together. Plus the older the kids get (middle and high school now) the more we are constrained by their schedules also, and it is too hard to reschedule. I'm afraid it would never happen if we cancelled, we'd just lose that trip. Not willing to do that; my kids are growing up so fast and soon the chance to travel w/them will be harder or possibly gone. There is not much I am unwilling to do for work, but that is one thing.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:10 AM

I'm so glad to hear I am not the only one. We book early to get FF usually, and I've gotten used to it.

Our schedule is:

Colorado-July
Cape Cod-Aug
Utah skiing - Feb
Las Vegas/Zion/Page/Sedona - spring break
London - next summer
spring skiing - following spring break
maybe Alaska cruise summer 2008?

My husband gets 4 weeks of vacation and he uses every day of it. On the other hand, we know people who get time shares, b/c they feel they need to be "forced" to take a vacation. They tell us that if know the same week every year is their vacation, they will take it. Otherwise, they don't schedule anything. Needless to say, I can NOT relate to that! No one has to remind me to take a vacation!!!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I love reading everyone else's travel plans and experiences

I am so glad to see I'm not the only one...although it looks like there may be a pattern with all of us teachers!

iamq: looks like we're headed to a few of the same places over the next year!

BeachBoi: Love that story!

karens: I am with you -- NO ONE has to remind me to take vacations. My husband has gotten used to the crazy woman talking about what we are going to do NEXT summer vacation, when we haven't even started THIS summer yet! He gets 4 weeks, too, and has resigned himself to the fact that I tell him what we're doing on his vacation! He usually just shows up where and when I tell him for trips
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:21 AM

I was a teacher (retired June 04) and always traveled during breaks. Many times my DH would be on a business trip to Europe and I would join him there. Sometimes I'd cruise alone, if he wasn't available. But I always took advantage of my break times. And yes, most were planned in advance.

Now, it's sooooo great to be able to go with DH to Europe for a couple of weeks or more, whenever necessary. No more watching the calendar!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:45 AM

Absolutely! I love planning our vacations and am always planning them months and years in advance. Here is what I am planning at the moment:

Quebec City in August 2006
Croatia and Bosnia in November 2006
Ireland in February 2007
Southeast Asia in October 2007

And lots of smaller long-weekend getaways (Napa Valley, perhaps a long weekend in Rome this fall) in-between those. I think I know where my major vacations will be for the next 2-3 years, and I have a general idea for several years following that.

Tracy
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:41 AM

Yup - we live overseas and travel/vacation planning is a big part of my "job!" The opportunity to travel is one of many reasons we chose to relocate.

We spend each summer in the US - mainly visiting family and friends, shopping for supplies, and getting doctor/dentist checkups. But we also try to squeeze in a little vacation-time as well. So far we have planned -

Summer 06 - Wash DC for July 4 and then Williamsburg

Oct 06 - driving trip thru western Turkey (Kusdadasi, Pamukkule, Fethiye)

Dec 06 - Cape Town/Garden Route/Victoria Falls

Mar 07 - Thailand (Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and a trip to Cambodia for Ankor Wat) - we're not big beach people, so Phuket doesn't really interest us.

Summer 07 - visiting friends in Alaska

Then - for one of our long weekends in the 06-07 school year we are looking at a quick trip to Moscow (we're not that far from there). Our younger son was there last month for a school trip and raved about it.

We have a list of places to visit - and we seldom "revisit" places unless there is a strong desire on everyone's part. This year has more "repeats" than ever. Cape Town is a repeat - but we haven't done VF or the Garden Route. My husband and older son have done Thailand - but none of us have done Cambodia. And we LOVE Turkey and will plan to hit it several times!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM

We do the same thing - of course we also have some places we try & go every year as well. June - NYC October - NC Beach Thanksgiving - Keys January - Montserrat March - Paris/Strausburg/Germany. Plus a variety of work/play trips June - Denver/Las Vegas October - Chicago.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:14 AM

ha ha, I love that "part of planning travel is my job" LOL! That's what my husband says about me. I love scouring the 'net finding deals. We definitely have long term planning, but keep other times open for special events, like Wine Spectator Grand Tastings and other wine/food festivals. Then there are all those last minute trips to Chicago, etc.I started the dreaded thread about vegas, lol, I plan on NOT going any time again. Next week, Switzerland. October, Disney (Int'l Food/Wine fest), Feb cruise on the new Freedom of the Seas, April Mexico, June Australia/New Zealand. BTW...whoever is going to Cape Town, be sure you travel out to Stellenbosch/Franschooek and see some of the beautiful old wineries. They are stunning! Gorgeous area!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:15 AM

iamq - St John in 17 days - I am SOOO jealous!!! Where are you staying?

I am a big plan aheader! Dh and I went to St John in 2003 and decided we couldn't wait to return when our kids are old enough to snorkel - we're planning on the summer of 2008. We have been saving our frequent miles since our trip for this next St John vacation. Also making sure the kids are snorkel ready - swimming lessons galore!!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:54 AM

snowrooster -
I know it sounds funny to say that travel planning is part of my "job" as an ex-pat wife..... but belive me.....planning our summers back in the US is a chore!

Getting the flights out of here (must be done months in advance to guarantee the date you want because of all the people trying to leave at the same time) and then trying to schedule flights within the US to please all family members and friends and getting doctor visits scheduled and shopping for all required items for the next 12 months......IT'S NOT A VACATION!!!!

As for South Africa - we spent several days in Franschhoek a few years ago and loved it. Stayed at Le Quartier Francais and had lunch at La Petit Ferme!!! It was a great trip.

Where are you going in New Zealand? We were there last Christmas (2004-5) and had a great time! It's on our list for a repeat trip!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 09:24 AM

SORRY - meant to address my comment to LLindaC!!!!! Read to quickly - didn't pay attention - didn't check my work! All those things I tell my kids NOT to do!!!!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM

I'll bet that few, if any of you can beat this for LACK of planning. The kids were finally gone and we knew that we deserved a vacation, but where????

We could not make up our minds about South to Florida or North to the mountains. We packed and planned to leave on a certain day. We did. Then we reached the Interstate and had to decide Left or Right. The DH slowed almost to a stop. "OK, Left or Right, North or South?" I pointed left and we went down the west coast of Florida with no plans to see anything. Stopped at every little thing that seemed the least bit interesting.

We always managed to find a decent motel for the night's stay. It was the best vacation that we ever had.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:09 AM

snowrooster,

15 days now! We're staying at Gallows Point for a few nights and then we've rented a "villa" just above Francis Bay on the north shore. Yippee!

-Bill