COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Savannah 3/30-4/4

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Savannah 3/30-4/4

Elderly mom and 4 sisters planning a vist March 30-April 4. We have received lots of information on the area and are trying to get an itinerary together.

Any input on Martha's tour? I would like to book a private tour for our group of five and figured that we could leave that in her hands to hit the highlights.

What about Tybee? Is this a must see? Would another island or beach area within an hours drive be more desireable? Not looking for touristy but it would be a nice destination for a special lunch or dinner.

We have lots of restaurant suggestions so I think we are ok there. It does seem like the Lady and Sons and Mrs Wilkes get mixed reviews. I'm sure we will want try one of them--any input?

Are some attractions or restaurants just so much more busy on the weekends?

We are all set at the Doubletree Historic District in two rooms for our group and will have a large car or SUV.

Many thanks for any help. We are all looking forward to our time together in beautiful Savannah.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Tybee is the only beach withing 50 miles. The next one north is Hilton Head Island, and the next one south are those in the Brunswick area, Sea Island, St Simons and Jekyll. Tybee is small and really not much to see unless you are really wanting to see the ocean. However, Fort Pulaski is on the way to Tybee and worth seeing. It's a nice drive. You cross several bridges and a lot of salt marsh. It's rather beautiful in my opinion.

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Skip Tybee. It's not a destination for a special lunch or dinner. If you really wanted that, I'd go to Hilton Head instead.

I guess the negative reviews are on TripAdvisor? There will ALWAYS be there, but please, please, please take what you read there with a huge grain of salt. Kosher salt!! LOL I've read some outright "misrepresentations" on that site and as a result, don't give their restaurant or hotel reviews much credence at all. Of those two restaurants you mention, Lady and Sons and Mrs Wilkes, why not try the original to Savannah, Mrs. Wilkes, for fun. You'll eat family style at the tables and you'll find yourself at a table with those people you stood in line with. Make friends...it's fun to meet and greet the others, find out where they are from, who they are etc. Mrs. Wilkes passed away a few years ago but she was in the dining room almost until the end. A very special lady. Her family still runs the restaurant. They serve only breakfast and lunch by the way, and not on weekends, unless that has changed.

I wanted to say you will be in Savannah at the very most beautiful time of year to see the city. Unless the azaleas bloom early because of a warm winter, they will be at peak, and the mass of color has to be seen to be believed. It should be a fabulous trip!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Tybee is not what you are expecting for a "beach destination" dining experience. Too many great dining options in Savannah to trade them in for Tybee - unless you want the famous breakfast at the Breakfast Club or great, VERY casual seafood at the Crab Shack.

Lunch at Mrs. Wilkes's Boarding House is consisently good, as is Paula Deen's Lady and Sons.

Have no idea who Martha is or her private tour. One option is to book a private carriage ride in the historic district.

I've not noticed things being so much busier on weekends. Tourist (and business) travel in Savannah is consistent, but I've never felt crowded there.

The Doubletree is very nice and in a great location. City Market is just steps away. I took a tour of the First African Baptist Church (on the square right behind your hotel) and really enjoyed it.

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:37 PM

If azaleas are blooming, be sure to take a drive along Victory Drive, a 4 lane road with a median strip planted with azaleas and palm trees. Victory Drive runs east/west just south of downtown Savannah and is incredibly beautiful when in bloom, especially with the backdrop of those beautiful old homes. Come to think of it, try Victory Drive for the homes even if the azaleas aren't blooming.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:42 PM

Hah! Disagree completely with the "skip Tybee" comment. It has some of the area's most sought after restaurants. With all that there is between Savannah and Tybee, only a handful literally have people lined up for what they offer and some are on Tybee. Breakfast? Try the World Famous Breakfast Club. Lunch or Dinner? North Beach Grill or George's of Tybee. In fact George's is easily one of the Top 5 fine dining(casual dress to dress) in the whole scope of the area! I think it funny that Hilton Head was offered as a better-than option. Other than some private clubs, few of which you'll ever have access to, the restaurants in Hilton Head pale by comparison and are further proof that just because the rich have money--doesn't mean it can buy them taste! Skip Hilton Head I say!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:57 PM

If anyone in your group was a Girl Scout--or, even if you weren't--stop by the Juliette Gordon Low house to tour the birthplace of Girl Scouting. Very interesting house/tour.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:15 AM

I agree that there are a couple very good restaurants on Tybee for a special dinner. Both George's and the Hunter House are surprisingly good given Tybee's generally deserved lowbrow reputation.

Worth the 20-30 minute drive out from Savannah? Only if you want to get out of the city.