Get us started in Savannah

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get us started in Savannah

Hey, my wife and I are trying to plan a last minute trip to Savannah this May.
We're only going to be there about three days...I haven't even begun to look at the brochures yet. What sights or places would you simply NOT miss if you had this short of a time to spend.

How much time is Tybee Island worth, and what would you see?

We like scenic places and history. We aren't much for super fancy places but we do like fine dining and just plain simple good home cooking.

Any info to get us started would be great, then once I get this jump-started, I'll have specific questions. Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:49 AM

First, pick a place to stay. Many nice inns, and much advice here on which one. If you want a regular hotel, make sure it is in Historic District. Westin is nice, but requires a water shuttle to hotel - can be annoying. Mixed reviews about Hyatt - it is undergoing remodeling. We like Hampton Inn both for location, price and service.

Don't know when in May - Memorial Day weekend is commencement at Savannah College of Art and Design - hotels are tough to come by then. If by chance it is first weekend in May, SCAD has sand art festival at Tybee Island that weekend - either a plus or minus depending on your perspective.

I like to spend time walking the various squares in Savannah, even though I have been there several times. The half day trolley tours thru Historic District are surprisingly good - not the usual hokey stuff you get in some cities and a good place to start.

Do a search here on restaurants in Savannah and you will also get much info on various choices.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:21 AM

As suggested, stay in the Historic District and walk, walk, walk. The many squares are unique and interesting. I took a very good private walking tour with Bobby Davis. http://www.exploresavannah.com
Thought Tybee Island was a waste of time, but then again I live at the Jersey Shore so it was a disappointment.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Savannah is great and I bet it will be gorgeous in May. Try to stay in a B&B in the historic district. That way, you'll be able to easily walk around the different sqares and see some of the sights. Plus, you'll get a feel for "old" Savannah. You'll probably want to check out the River street area too, and it's not a far walk from the historic district. There are some candy stores down there that your nose will lead you to--be sure to go in and sample the pralines.

If you like southern cooking, go to The Lady and Sons--it's delicious and is owned by Paula Deen and her sons. Just make sure you go really hungry b/c the buffett offers a lot of food! Her brother has a new seafood place a little out of Savannah called "Uncle Bubba's Oyster House" (or something along those lines). I liked it when I was there in February--plus I got to meet Paula--she actually cracked my crab legs for me!!. In the City Market area, there's a great pizza place called Vinne Van Go-go's. They do sell by the slice, and the slices are huge.

I wasn't impressed with Tybee Island at all, and I usually never meet a beach area I don't like. I just found the little town to be rather money-sucking with their parking meters everywhere. Maybe there's something there I don't know about...

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Stay at the Hampton Inn in the historic district.

Get oriented by taking a trolley tour - I like Old Savannah Trolley Tour.

Go to Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House on E. Jones for lunch for a Southern cookin' all you can eat family style dining experience. Cash only.

Eat at Lady and Sons in the City Market. Cheaper at lunch. Southern buffet or menu items. There's always a long line so be prepared.

Eat dessert at the gelato place in City Market.

Splurge on dinner at the Olde Pink House. Make reservations. Have a drink in the downstairs tavern - oldest building in the state. If you can't get into the Pink House, eat a Garibaldi's or Bistro Savannah. Owned by the same folks. Amazing food. If you stay at the Hampton Inn you are only steps away.

If you stay somewhere else, call a pedicab and let a bicylist take you home.

Stroll, stroll, stroll the squares. Spend very little time on River Street. It's become too commercial. Do step in one of the candy shops for a sample of a praline. You'll probably buy some to take home.

If you want to "shop", try some of the stores on Broughton street - or duck into shops you pass as you stroll. Consider shopping at the SCAD store - merchandise created by present, former students and faculty of the Savannah College of Art and Design. Over 50 buildings in downtown have been renovated by them for classrooms and lodging.

Consider taking a walking tour of Savannah - pick you interest. Gardens, architecture, ghosts, etc.

Finish off with a carriage ride if you want. One of my best tour guides was a carriage driver.

Those are the basics. More to do.

Here's your homework assignment. Read "The Book" or watch the movie. Everywhere you turn in Savannah you will hear a reference to "The Book".

Tybee can be skipped. If you go, go early for a walk at the beach and eat at the Breakfast Club.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:50 PM

You might want to rent the DVD of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and look through the special feature that shows a number of locations involved in the movie. It gives you a good feel for the city, as well.

You can easily spend three days in Savannah, and be completely charmed by the place. I'm from Charleston, and these are two distinctly different but altogether georgous rivals within a few hours of each other. You should stay longer and enjoy both.

Have a great visit,

Jim
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:14 AM

My husband and I spent 3 days in Savannah last May and LOVED it! We stayed at a great place right smack in the historic district (on what is called the prettiest street in Savannah) that had it's own entrance, own outside patio, kitchen, living room, and huge bed and bath. It was like our own apartment and very restful and convenient to tour. Like is below. Diann the owner is a delight.
http://www.zeiglerhousesavannah.com

Wander, wander, wander.
You must go to Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House.
I would skip Tybee unless you have time on your hands.
Tour a couple of the houses.
We took a trolley tour, but couldn't hear the commentary there was so much noise, so got off and just walked.
City Market area is great. I hear they have live music at night.
Definitely read "the book" before you go. Will let you appreciate the history all the more.

Have fun!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 09:36 PM

Just a note, they only offer the buffet at The Lady and Sons on Sundays. The rest of the time it is the regular menu, which is mighty fine in itself. They make awesome crabcakes. It is, I will note, a major draw for tourists. I would advise you to try going really early or late to avoid the crowds.

As someone else said, Vinny Van Gogo's is pretty good pizza.

Tybee Island is not worth it, in my opinion. If you have time, a drive over to St. Simon's is a lot nicer. My friends and I did this, went up in the lighthouse. We wandered around the elegant Cloister resort, actually, which is a beautiful place.
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Just returned from 3 days in Savannah area. Spent 1 night in Savannah and 2 in Tybee. Wish we had spent the whole 3 days in Savannah and skipped Tybee. Stayed at Suites on Lafayette in Savannah and liked alot. Stayed at Savannah Beach In on Tybee - was terrible. Ate at Lady and Sons and her brothers Uncle Bubba's enjoyed both. Had lunch at Boars head was disappointed. (Ate there a few years ago and enjoyed it.). Hope you have a good time but I say skip Tybee.
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Hamilton-Turner Inn (bed and breakfast on Lafayette Square) offers some excellent Sunday through Thursday packages that include dining and Savannah exploration. My daughter-in-law and son loved it, especially their signature dessert begins at breakfast.
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:43 PM

There has been talk recently of a newly opened and very nice hotel/B&B called the Mansion at Forsyth, which is at Forsyth Park, the largest of the squares in Savannah and the first of the squares to be made when the city was planned....
Put Savannah into the search box and just read all the trip reports..there is SO much information on Savannah here!
We were there for a long weekend, last June. Loved it. Stayed at the Hyatt. . which might not be good right now.
The Olde Pink House
Garibaldis
River Road and the Pralines
Ghost Tours
Horse and Buggy tours/Historic Tours
The Museum
The book shops..
Just walk, from Bay street to Forsyth, stopping in each square.
I am making myself wish I were there now!
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:56 AM
bonniebroad

atlswan, I believe the buffet is still offered daily, lunch and dinner, at Lady & Sons. Her website indicates that to be true, and it was still the case when my friend was there right before Christmas.

Ssnag, do be sure to eat at Lady & Sons if you like down-home Southern cooking. I never miss a chance to eat there.........

Old May 6th, 2005, 02:25 AM

There is a buffet at Lady's and Sons every day with menu options also available for lunch and dinner for every day except Sunday. Sunday is buffet only.

The wait in the line outside can be long. At times when I'm in Savannah for business and don't have time for the wait, I'll call ahead and order a sandwich to go. I get my asparagus sandwich fix, enjoy Paula's food, and don't have to wait. For visitors to Savannah, you may want to consider a picnic in a square?

The beauty of Savannah is discovered in strolls along the squares, NOT a walk along River Street. Do River Street (and buy some pralines) but savor Savannah and her squares.
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:40 AM

Check out the menu options on the website at www.ladyandsons.com.

Bonniebroad and other NC'ians - I noticed she's doing a book signing in Raliegh in June.
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the correction. My post wasn't written properly. I meant to say they offer ONLY the buffet on Sundays. Sorry for the goof! It's still worth going for just the same.
Old May 6th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Take a trolley tour to get an overview on the city and its history. THey are not expensive.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:10 PM
bonniebroad

Starrsville, thanks for the info on the book signing. I stood beside Paula at the buffet table when I first went to her restaurant (the first one.) She looked so overworked that I didn't have to heart to interrupt her, but I have talked to her sons on one visit, and they're such a nice family!

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 04:36 AM

topping for the person being ignored
hmmmm...wonder why?