Girls' weekend in Savannah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a girls' getaway to Savannah in November. We have never been there so looking for any suggestions for affordable b&b, inn, hotel and things to do while there. Hoping to get in some time at a day spa too so any ideas on where to go would also be great.

Thanks!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:15 AM

BethL3
We are going for girls weekend this weekend (9/28 - 9/30). Will reply to your post when we return with results of our trip. We've reservations for three hours at a day spa on Saturday a.m. - so will be able to report on that too.

Here's the result of our research:
Savannah Tea Room (Friday lunch)
River Street shopping (Friday p.m.)
Amethyst Inn (B&B - with wine/lemonade hour)
Bistro Savannah (Friday night dinner)
Haunted Herse Tour (Friday after dinner)
Savannah Day Spa (Saturday a.m.)
Touristas (Saturday p.m.)(cathedral, cemetaries, museum or house tours, lounging in park/squares...we are playing it by ear depending on how much everyone wants to do, if we'll split up according to interests, etc.)
Olde Pink House (Saturday night dinner)
Dueling Pianos at Savannah Smiles or Drag Show at Club One (Saturday after dinner)

Talk to you soon!

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. Looking forward to your trip report. Have a great time!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:06 PM
GoTravel

Topping for starrsville and OO.

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:09 AM

BethL3 -
Trip Report from Savannah 9/28 - 10/1.

Flew into JAX and drove to Savannah (2 hours). JAX most convenient for girls coming from different locations and the drive is fun with company.

Stayed at the Amethyst Inn At Sarah's Garden, www.aiasg.com (912-898-0852). Rocky & Jane are the owners and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and at home. Breakfast was really good each morning at 9:00 a.m. We stayed in the Dahlia Suite (upstairs - good for 3 or 4 people = bed + pull out sofa) and the Geranium Suite (ground floor - 2 people). Like many Inn's in Savannah, the front entrance includes a set of steep stairs. If you have anyone with knee issues that can't navigate stairs...it's a consideration. (We didn't have anyone with bad knees, but one 7-month pregnant Mom was less than enthusiastic about the stairs). Owners also coordinated getting a small "It's a Girl" cake for a baby shower for us. Really great hospitality.

Food -
Savannah Tea Room – 7 East Broughton Street, 912-239-9690 - EXCELLENT & INEXPENSIVE (we went for lunch, reservations required for tea). Friends that had never had "tea" before and thought it might be too "stuffy" loved it.

Bistro Savannah, 309 West Congress Street (Jefferson = cross St.),
(912) 233-6266 - EXCELLENT - this was my favorite meal in Savannah, great service and menu. My favorite appetizer, fried green tomato with crab cake.

Olde Pink House Restaurant - 23 Abercorn Street 912-232-4286 - VERY GOOD - this is a "Savannah tradition" so we felt obliged to try it out. the food was good, but rather tame - service was excellent. Drinks in the small but completely cozy and fun bar below the restaurant were the best of the trip.

Six Pence Tavern - don't have an address - we went for drinks & bar food. The eclair served there is as big as a human head....if you've anyone with a sweet tooth...it's a weird place for an eclair, but it was crazy good.

Activities -
Old Savannah Tours - trolley type tours. We went on the 9:00 p.m. ghost tour and kept being forgotten (at stops) by our tour driver. We love goofy-lame tours - so we went in with reasonable expectations. The tour driver was tired, canned, flat and boring. I had heard good things about the tours...but can't recommend them myself.

Savannah Day Spa - 18 East Oglethorpe Ave. (between Bull & Drayton) – 912-234-9100 - EXCELLENT & VERY REASONABLE. We had massages, pedicures, manicures. Excellent services at prices approx. 30% less than similar services on other trips.

Forsyth Park - beautiful, easy to walk around (approx. 15 minute walk to cover entire park and adjacent green) - we just went to sit and talk.

Dueling Pianos at Savannah Smiles, 314 Williamson St (912) 527-6453 - younger crowd (20's) than I expected at a dueling piano place. We are a late-30's crew and thought there might be a few well-oiled geezers (like ourselves) acting rowdy. But this was a fired-up, younger crowd and it was FUN. Word of warning - very smoke-y....if anyone in your group doesn't like smoke, don't go there.

Bar at the Hyatt - seems weird, but extremely comfortable, great drinks that are reasonably priced, and they had sports on so we could catch up on college football scores. (I know, girl's trip...but some of us do like sports.)

River Street - approx. 2-3 hours to walk along, stop for drink, coffee, or sweet and shop. Everyone in our group found some gift, either for themselves or family.

Paula Deen store - next to the restaurant. The same "stuff" is in every store in Savannah - but one girl wanted to purchase items for a gift. The store was clean, not too crowded, and everyone there was psyched about Paula - so it's a good atmosphere.

Logistics -
Savannah was very easy to navigate.

I printed out a map of the down town area from Visitor Info. website (www.savannah-visit.com) and used it the entire trip.

Finding parking was easy. We found street parking within a few minutes even on the weekends. There are several garages closer to the waterfront. (The Inn has off-street parking).

We called cabs on nights that included high heels - cab drivers were very kind. Cab with four girls from River Street to Inn was $10 including tip - so very inexpensive.

Oh - my FAVORITE thing about Savannah - at MOST PLACES we were greeted with "Hi there, how are you, we are glad you came." Seriously, "we are glad you came" like they meant it...(sorry - I had to say it again - I still can't get over how friendly it was). I pointed it out to one girl the first afternoon and we thought it must be the town slogan since so many people said it. Perhaps we are hardened "Northerners" - but it was very nice.

I will go back to Savannah for an extended stay with my husband. I would like to go to the coast (approx. 20 - 30 minutes from downtown) and visit the Art Museum and some of the galleries downtown that we didn't have time for on this visit.

Have Fun
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM

Thanks for your report. Sounds like a great girls' getaway.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the trip report. I'm going for a girls' getaway in Dec. We were planning to do the tea, so I'm glad it was a hit. Good to know about the cab fare, also. Not sure about walking around after dark. I hadn't really thought of Dueling Pianos, but will really consider it now. Thanks for the tips.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:31 PM

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing.
I'm surprised that the food wasn't that great at the Pink House. They are managed by the same folks as Bistro Savannah (and Garibaldi's). I usually entertain at the Pink House - and everyone has raved about the food over several years' time. But, I definitely agree, the tavern downstairs is wonderful. Sometimes, I just go there for drinks, appetizer and dessert (when I'm on my own).

I was there last month and it was great. I asked, and the Planter's Inn next door still gets their room service from the Pink House. What a treat - settling in on a 4 poster rice bed with the TV on and bisque from the Pink House!

Pedicabs are fun too - but your B&B may be a bit too far for the pedicabs.