Search

Day in Savannah

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day in Savannah

My wife & I travel to Hilton Head every Sept. for a week. This year we plan to drive to Savannah for a day for our 1st visit there. What are the must see places to visit and dine?
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 08:46 AM

In case you don't receive a better response, you would do best to read thru the past POSTS on Savannah. Every possible thing about Savannah has been recently written.Savannah is a day-trip, tourist's heaven. Under 1 hour from HHI.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 10:39 AM

We had been to Savannah several times, but never took a trolley tour. We finally did, and it was wonderful.
The best place to catch the trollys is at the visitors center, and they all have on-and-off privilages. We also very much enjoyed the paddlewheel cruise which is located at the Riverwalk.
Have you ever been to Charleston?
Make sure to do that sometime if you haven't been there. I like it even better than Savannah.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Hello - We spent a day in Savannah when we visited HH last year (going again tomorrow!). We had lunch at Mrs Wilkes - really good and fun doing family style and meeting other people. Next we bought tickets for trolley tours - I think it was Old Time Trolleys. This is great as you can get on and off throughout the day. We got off at one point and toured the Owens-Thomas house - interesting and lovely. Finally we tood a walk along the river and had some pralines at one of the many candy shops. We had planned on trying to stick around and have dinner at Lady & Sons but it had been a long hot day and the kids were tired. So, we're going to drive to Savannah one night for dinner this trip to eat there!!

Have a great time - I really fell in love w/Savannah even in a just a day - it's a beautiful city and a really easy drive from Hilton Head.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Explore the shops by the River and in the historic district. Eat at The Lady & Sons Restaurant although get there early to get you name on the list for lunch. If you have time, drive down to Tybee Island. I prefer Savannah or Charleston over Hilton Head.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 07:00 AM

I lived in Savannah for over a year and for a first timer, I suggest the trolley tour. It gives you an idea of the set up of downtown and you are able to get off and on at different stops. Be sure to explore the different squares, Forsyth Park and River St. Dining - many, many options! If you are looking for Southern food, go to Lady and Sons. The wait can be long and I suggest going for lunch. Many resturants have the menus posted outside so just explore.