Number of days for Charleston, Hilton Head and Savannah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I will have 9 days to experience Charleston, Hilton Head and Savannah in late March. We are fling into Charleston and out of Savannah.

I was thinking of 4 days in Charleston, (we get in late the first night), 2 days in Hilton Head and 3 days in Savannah.

Please tell me what you think of this itinerary. Should we cut days in one destination and add to another?

Thank you for your help!
Laurie
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Most folks on this forum would opt for more days in Charleston than Savannah, but the big question is what you want to do on Hilton Head? Will you golf, play tennis or just want to "beach" it? Charleston to Savannah is a day's drive, with a nice lunch stop in Beaufort. It's a bit of a drive out to Hilton Head. If you get in late the first night, I would spend one extra day in Charleston, spend one night in Beaufort, then head on to Savannah.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:43 PM

We haven't been to Charleston yet, but it's high on our list of places we want to visit. Therefore, perhaps I shouldn't respond because I don't have experience in both cities. We fell in love with Savannah. We spent three full days there (our day of arrival was pretty much gone and it was raining). We would have loved more time there and there were many things left to see/do we would have enjoyed. I compiled a long file on Savannah when planning our trip. If you'd like a copy e-mail me. Maybe it will help you decide how long you wish to stay there.

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 03:34 PM

As theother poster says, what are you going to do in HH? ONe full day in Savannah is plenty. Plus your departure day.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

We really would like to see the architecture and the gardens in Savannah and Charleston. We will probably do a walking tour in Charleston and a ghost walk tour in Savannah. We also enjoy local markets and just walking around the historical part of the cities to get an understanding of the local culture.

We enjoy good value restaurants, and especially restaurants with a nice view.

In Hilton Head, we would like to enjoy the beach and take a kayak tour to see dolphins and other wildlife. We do not play golf.

We will probably use priceline to bid for hotel rooms in each of these cities. Wish us luck for success!

Thank you for your help. Laurie
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 08:09 PM

Okay, now that your wishes are known--March will be "iffy" for beaches--but you could do "dolphins" in either Charleston or Savanhan. So, spend more time in Charleston--add a day at Kiawah or Beachwalker for your beach fix. Book a "dolphin tour" from the docks through the aquarium. (Charleston is actually "closer" to the open ocean than Savannah). Lots of great rest-os in both towns (see previous posts). But in CHS certainly include: Charleston Grill, Hanks, Poogan's Porch, FIG, SNOB, Jestine's, perhaps a cooking class through Charleston Cooks.
Also, include the Gullah tour (best tour in town in an enclosed bus--no "horse butts").
On the way to SAV--stop in Beaufort and travel out to the Penn Center for moment at their excellent museum. Lunch in Beaufort (lots of choices), then on to Savannah. Trolly tour of Savannah is good introduction to the town--Olde Pink House excellent for dinner/drinks in the cellar. Greene Palm Inn is an excellent B&B. Save Hilton Head for a separate destination vacation.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM

Hi Laurie, do you by any chance enjoy lamb? If so dine at SNOB's in Charleston and order their Rack of Lamb with the Cabernet Sauce. I can still remember that dish and wish I could have it ever time I think of it. Charleston is a beautiful city and the residents are so charming. I was there for the first time three years ago and fell in love with it. I wondered why I have never visited it before. I liked Poogan's Porch also. But SNOB's is the restaurant that stays in my mind.

Giovanna, you must go to Charleston, you will love it! I know since we have so much in common. Next April would be a good time to visit assuming the weather is wonderful as the April I visited Charleston.

Laurie, try typing GoTravel into the Search Box here (at the top of the screen). I say that as our Fodorite GoTravel who lives in the area spent a weekend in Charleston as a tourist and posted the most wonderful report for visitors to Charleston. She gave a wealth of information. Enjoy!
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies.
I was thinking about taking this kayaking/ dolphin tour from Hilton Head: http://www.hiltonheadisland.com/kayak/kaytour.htm

Is there anything like this in either Charleston or Savannah?

It would be nice if we did not have to rent a car. We could just take the train from Charleston to Savannah.

Giovanna, thank you for your kind offer. I will email you for your file on Savannah.

TrvlMaven and LoveItaly, thank you for all your suggestions for activities and restaurants.

Laurie
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

TrvlMaven,
We will not have a car in Charleston.

What is the best way to get to Kiawah or Beachwalker? Is there a bus or will we need to take a taxi?

How much would the taxi fare be?

Thank you for your help.

Laurie
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:34 PM
GoTravel

Laurie, forget about doing a dolphin kayak tour in March because it is doubtful they offer it in March.

The ocean temps are simply not warm enough and even with a good wet suit, hypothermia would kick in.

You cannot do any of the outer islands without a car. You can do both Charleston and Savannah without a car but absolutely no way HH or any of the Charleston barrier islands without a car.

There is a dolphin tour from Savannah you could certainly take.

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:37 PM
GoTravel

Rereading your post, a cab will cost you $100 each way from Charleston to Kiawah.

March is peak season for Charleston. Please keep in mind it is a year around destination and hotels are on the expensive side.

Try booking The Andrew Pinckney Inn directly. It is the best value in the historic district. Don't even think about staying outside the historic district even if you rent a car.

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Laurie,
As the other posters have said, doing this trip without a car is not only near impossible, but most of your time will be spent waiting and traveling from CHS to SAV. Again, as others have said, kayaking will be an "extreme" sport at that time of year. Here's the link to the Charleston Visitor's bureau: http://www.charlestoncvb.com/
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:11 AM

While March is early for kayaking, you can still get out on the water and look for wildlife in a boat. You might look at companies such as Barrier Island Eco Tours that offer tours similar to what you would see on a kayak, but from the relative warmth of a boat. http://www.nature-tours.com/index.html I agree with everyone else that this trip would be much more fun (and probably cost effective) if you rent a car.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:29 AM
GoTravel

Yes, we definitely boat all year long but in a kayak you will get wet.

Even if it is 65, the reflection of the sun off the water, the direct sun, and the reflection of the sun off the boat will make it feel much warmer and you will get sunburnt so wear sunscreen.

Daytime temps will be anywhere from 65 to 85 degrees but the ocean water is still 65 degrees. That doesn't sound cold but it will drop your body temp quick.

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:41 AM

Bases on your time I would probably rent a cottage/Condo for a week near Charleston (Try Seabrook or Kiawah) which puts you i close proximity to Charleston. Then meander down to Savannah w/the remaining time. HH is one of my least favorite islands around, I'm not clear why that would need to be included.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:43 AM

As others have mentioned you will need a car. You'll also want to (likely) visit some Planatations as well. Although both Charleston & Savannah are very walkable cities, you do need a car w/the amount of time you'll have....
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:49 AM
OO

Laurie, I want to echo what everyone else has said about the car. Even if you just have it for the drive from Charleston to HH then Savannah, and turn it in as soon as you get to Savannah, you will want one for that trip alone! You could not take a train from Charleston to HH, and even a bus would be an unbelievable pain. And a car is a necessity in HH...otherwise you'd be left high and dry, unable to see what little there is to see. The drive is easy.

Late March is high season for Savannah and probably Charleston too, as that's when the azaleas are in full bloom and they are absolutely, unbelievably beautiful. To see both cities in bloom is a wonderful treat, but if this is your plan, you need to make your reservations ASAP. Both cities sell out for the period. From about the 3rd week in March (for Savannah) until the 2nd or 3rd in April is prime time. Prime prices as well. Azaleas begin earlier in Savannah than Charleston, even though the cities are so close to each other.

IMHO, the best way to see Savannah is on foot. Wander the historic district and enjoy the squares and the architecture. We used to live there, and I ran through the historic district daily...and I doubt there was a day that I didn't see something I hadn't noticed before. You might start with one of the trolley tours for an overview, but walk walk walk, and DO get away from River Street. I lived on it, but avoided it at all costs except for coming and going. It is the area where historical Savannah began, but today is a jumble of tacky shops. The real flavor of Savannah is found back from the river, around the squares.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your helpful replies. I think I am understanding better now. I guess we will not be doing any kayaking. Oh well, some other trip.

It sounds like we will need to rent a car, at least for a few days.

I would like to take a little island break between the two cities. If not Hilton Head, then which island. Kiawah, Seabrook or somewhere else?

We just want to relax with some natural scenery and maybe do some nature things.

I hope it is not too hard to get a hotel room. I was going to try to get one with priceline. I will book and back up hotel in each city and then keep trying on priceline.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. They have been very helpful in planning for this area.

Laurie
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

I just used Priceline and received the Mills House Hotel in Charleston for 5 nights for $100 per night.

I hope this is a nice place! It looks like it is in a pretty good location.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM

The Mills House is a great location and the reviews on trip advisor are wonderful. My brother stayed there and had a very nice stay.

If you decide to do a few days at the beach both Kiawah and Seabrook are great. You might not be able to kayak, but there are many nature-type things to do there. Renting bikes might fill the bill along with walking on the beach. If you are there the week before or the week after Easter, the Resort at Kiawah generally has lots of extra activities going on due to the greater influx of guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -