Anchorage hotel... help me decide please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3 reservations in Anchorage and must decide which 2 to reject. I booked the Hilton downtown on the concierge level... pricey but nothing else is available. I booked the Marriott downtown... traditional room at a senior rate, $40 less than the Hilton. I also booked the Sheraton on the edge of downtown... traditional room at their senior rate, $50 less than the Marriott.

I don't want to decide on price alone... DH likes his creature comforts so I'd like to go with the hotel with the nicest rooms. Tripadvisor doesn't seem to like any hotel in Anchorage so looking there didn't help. Also, we'll have a car so not being right in the center of town is no big deal.

Thanks for any help... Sandy
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The Marriott is the newest of the 3, the Sheraton the least well-located. If the Sheraton is $90 less than the Hilton and you have a car, it's hard to see why that wouldn't be the best. Otherwise I'd go with the Marriott.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 08:01 PM

As a frequent traveler from Fairbanks Alaska, I always stay at the Captain Cook, its the only true Alaska hotel, 40 years old owned by the same family. I just got back two weeks ago and they just completed to total renovation of all three towers, new granite bathrooms. Its still and has always been the best. I wouldn't take any advise from people who cookie-cutter hotels are the way to go.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:31 AM

Have the rooms at the Captain Cook had air conditioning added? We stayed there 2 years ago during a summer heat wave and it was so hot. It was a lovely hotel and truely in the middle of everything. Just check on the A/C if you are traveling d.uring the summer months.. it does get hot at times.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:31 AM

You asked about Marriott in September and got many answers. Please be considered to other visitors to Alaska and decide where you are staying. Cancel your triple reservation ASAP.

senderpaul1997, am I missing something in Sandy's post? I don't think she asked about the Captain Cook hotel.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 06:18 AM

The most important question is how long are you planning on staying in Anchorage? If one or two nights then any of these three hotels is fine. Just make sure you cancel other two places. There are many visitors who already are having a hard time to find a hotel available. Please help them out by canceling two hotels you won't use
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:34 AM

Pat 2003, I'm just trying to let Sandyris that she is missing out on a truly unique Alaskan instituton. The three hotels she has booked are sub-par when compared to the Cook. Its where Alaskan's stay when we visit Anchorage.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Well as an ex-Alaskan who's dropped way more moolah at Wally World than I would care to count, I've always found the Cook to be overpriced, overheated, and underwhelming, and frankly I don't much care for the owners or their values, either. There.

But it's a good hotel. I suspect its cost is not in the same range as the others mentioned, though.

If ownership is a concern, consider the Hawthorn Inn on the Park Strip. Probably cheaper than any of the others, free parking and well located if you have a car, hot breakfast included, comfortable place. Owned by the native corporation from Chenega, a village that was wiped out in the 1964 Good Friday earthquake and tsunami.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:35 AM

Hi Gardyloo, thank you for posting interesting information about the Hawthorn Inn. I had no idea. As frequent visitors to Alaska my husband and I are always eager to learn more about history and culture of this amazing state. We are always ready to support local native businesses.

Last summer we stayed in Marriott and had a fantastic stay. However, I always try to avoid saying this is the only place to stay in Anchorage and that goes for any accommodation anywhere. Marriott is wonderful but there are many places to stay in Anchorage thus the final decision has to belong to a person who is going there.

senderpaul1997, our dear friends from Homer never stay in Captain Cook which, according to them, is overpriced and something about the owners doesn't appeal to them (I was never interested in knowing details). So, from what I see, not all Alaskans have the same view regarding hotels in Anchorage and that is what I always appreciate most. We all have different opinions and experiences. Just imagine if we all have the same thoughts, feelings, experiences and wanted stay at the same hotels. How boring that would be?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:06 PM

Pat2003
Dearest Pat
All opinions that are the same would be very boring, however I seem to have struck a cord with my opinion about the Cook. I was just trying bring in some diversity on the subject of hotels in Anchorage. As to the owners I feel as though former Gov. Wally Hickel was this state's best, a man who truly was one of the handful of people who built this state. If owners are an issue, do you really inject your opinions about the Hilton family?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:29 PM

Hi senderpaul1997, I don't have any personal opinion about Hilton or the Captain Cook Hotel. I don't stay in Hilton's Hotels and don't stay in Captain Cook in Anchorage. I was just surprised you mentioned this hotel in your answer to the question that asked about three specific hotels. I too have my favorite hotels around the world and like to recommend them if someone asks. It seems you love Captain Cook a lot, you recommend this place in at least 10 out of your 14 posts posts on this forum. Last summer we didn't even planned on staying in Marriott, but our accommodation near Hatcher Pass was so disappointed that we gave up on it, called Marriott reservation number from Palmer and got a gorgeous room in Marriott. It was a wonderful place and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to Sandy as she asked about Marriott and two other hotels. I only gave my view on Marriott since I have no direct experience with Hilton or Sheraton. I am sorry if I heart your feelings about the Captain Cook. I really didnt mean to disrespect your favorite hotel. Please accept my apology.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your input. Pat 2003 your experience at the Marriott helped me decide we'll stay there. I will cancel the other two bookings immediately. FYI... I never considered Captain Cook because they don't have conditioning. For some, that wouldn't be a problem but for me it is.

Sandy