Search

anchorage hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anchorage hotels

We are having a terrible time deciding on a hotel in Anchorage. We've narrowed it down to 3- Captain Cook, Westmark (downtown)and the Hilton. Captain Cook and Hilton are rather expensive at $199 but look nice (Capt. Cook's rooms look smallish on the website?)The Westmark is a better value at $169. but seems to have much less amenities (e.g. no laundry and so so restaurant) and I understand it is an older hotel and a bit worn? Bottom line, we only have one full day in Anchorage, is the Capt. Cook or the Hilton worth $30-40 dollars more over the Westmark?
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:41 PM

I've lived in Alaska since 1978 and I can tell you with no hestitation whatsoever that the Hotel Capt. Cook is our best hotel. The service, food, amenities are nothing short of sublime. The Hilton is also very good, but the Captain Cook is best. They've got a pool, athletic facility and one of the best restaurants in town. People who live in Southcentral AK consider it a special night out to dine at the Cook's Crow's Nest restaurant. You are right about the Westmark - older and showing her age. They do have a restaurant, and it's actually pretty good. Let your travel budget be your guide... and have a great time here in Alaska.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:50 PM

I've been to both and like the Marriott, which was built in 2000, much better.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Don't know when you're going to Anchorage, but the $199 rate at Captain Cook Hotel seems like a good value for the summertime! FYI -- we got a great rate at the Alyeska Prince Resort, but requires a 2 night stay. You need to call them directly and ask for the "simple pleasures" rate. I think it's about an hour's drive outside of Anchorage and is supposed to be wonderful.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 07:31 PM

I have stayed at both the Captain Cook and the Westmark. The Cook is more luxurious, but the Westmark is fine. If cost is a consideration, don't hesitate about the Westmark. In fact, it has an excellent location, and is right across the street from the best restaurant in downtown, Glacier Brewhouse. Don't miss it. Also across the street and just down a bit is Saks Cafe, also recommend.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Another consideration- there has been good reports using Priceline getting the Hilton for less than $70. Would be the way to go for me (seems the only hotel in the catagory). But Anchorage has some excellent B&B's that give great service and are far more personal.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:05 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The Cook would be worth the extra $ over the Westmark; the Hilton...I dunno. The Westmark is a bit long in the tooth, but so's the Hilton; it would depend on when your room was last updated I suppose. The Hilton and Westmark are a bit closer to the downtown core; the Cook is pretty much at the west end of the core - aprez nous, les train tracks.

In days of yore, the biggest sets of customers at the Hilton and Cook were Asian and European flight crews, whose airlines had to stop in Anchorage for fuel on trans-polar routes. For this reason, the rooms tended to be a little small by lower 48 standards (not NYC standards); however the blackout curtains were efficient beyond belief, what with midnight sun and people with internal clocks all whacked.

The Sheraton, which is nice enough but on the east end of downtown, is also coming up on Priceline - we got a room in August for $47, vs. $199 on the website. Check out www.biddingfortravel.com for results and how-tos.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:06 AM

The recent winning bid from Priceline seems to be Sheraton around $50-60 depending on date.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:23 AM

While doing a government contract in Anchorage last fall, I lived int he Hilton, Sheraton, and Captain Cook for about 2 weeks each. Of the three, the Captain Cook was by far the best. The location was excellent, their restaurants were great, and the room was wonderful. The Sheraton was my second choice, but only because of its location, which was bout 6 blocks away from the main part of downtown. THe Hilton was very nice, but my room was so tiny that I couldn't even close the closet doors with my suitcase inside! Their restuarants were not as good, either, and their Top of the World one was horribly pricey.
I'm not familiar with the Westmark.

Be sure and eat at the Glacier Bay Brewhouse while you are in town!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies everyone. We are visiting in late Aug. We were a bit concerned about the Capt. Cook because we had heard some comments about it being run down (but no one had stayed recently) We will just have to decide on amenities v budget. Re: Postal's comment, we did take note of the Marriott, but the rates are just too high. And to wagsdvm - we are already booked at the Alyeska Resort at the special you noted. Good deal! Thanks to those who mentioned the Glacier Brew House as well, as we had already decided to have dinner there- good to hear the positive reviews. As long as the Westmark isn't too run down it may be our best bet as they now have a rate of $161, ideally located, and we won't be in the room that much anyway! Thanks again for the feedback!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:12 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You might check to see if the Westmark charges for parking. It might make the difference between that hotel and another with free parking.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Westmark never used to charge for parking, but it has been a few years since I have stayed there.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 09:49 AM

We just returned from Anchorage a few days ago. We stayed at Hilton one night and Westmark second night. We got great rates on Priceline for both properties. Both hotels were conveniently located. Hilton more upscale, staff more professional, had a freezer for our halibut, but no free parking. Westmark older, but effort had been put into upgrading the rooms, staff somewhat inefficient, free parking, no freezer to store fish.
We visited the Captain Cook for drinks in their 20th floor lounge. Great view. Hotel is beautiful, but for the rates we got on Priceline, we were very happy where we were.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 10:04 AM

We stayed at the Capt. Cook last September, en route to a cruise out of Seward. We LOVED it -- especially the Crow's Nest lounge. Great amenities and decor, convenient for everything we needed. And a short walk to the Snow City Cafe for breakfast, too!

Our cost rationale was that we had come a looong way to see Alaska, and who knows if we will have the opportunity again. For a short stay, we thought it well worth while.

My 2 cents...
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the additional replies.
We've talked it over and narrowed it down to the Hilton or Captain Cook, considering this is our opportunity to experience Anchorage for a day we thought we'd go for the nicer hotels. Right now we can get a Junior Suite for $220. at Capt. Cook (not sure of view) or a Deluxe Rm with view at the Hilton for $211. Another consideration is both of these will hold our luggage while we go off to Denali Nat'l Park (haven't checked with Westmark on that yet). Alhtough the CC is a bit off from the center it does seem we could walk to all the shops, the Glacier Brew House and the Anchorage Museum if we want. My husband is generally a light and modern atmosphere kind of guy, but the CC seems to have character. I'm going to let him make the call. Will report when we're back. Alyeska - Seward- Anchorage-Denali -home. Thanks again.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:41 AM

Anyone know the latest on whats available on Priceline for Anchorage?
Also, can you ask for a suite on Priceline?