ANCHORAGE TIPS

May 25th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

ANCHORAGE TIPS

Hello. I'm going to Anchorage, Alaska from June 1 through June 11. I'm flying from Pittsburgh (USAIR) through Seattle (Alaska Airlines). I would like to read about any experience, TIPS, sights to see & do that you would have for me. Things to do, and things not to do. Also, places to go and not to go. I will have a rental car. I will be on business, so weekday daytime events are out.
May 25th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

On a side note --> My hotel has a full kitchen, and I love to cook. Will I be able to purchase Moose, Antelope, etc. for consumption?
May 25th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Consider yourself lucky that you'll have a rental car and a kitchen! I was in Anchorage for a month in 2002, and I had neither one!

I don't know what types of meat are sold at the grocery store, but you will find Reindeer Sausage on the menu just about everywhere. Moose is fairly common, too. I also found buffalo on the menu at one restaurant.

If you have time on a weekend, I'd recommend taking a trip down to Seward. It's an easy drive, and very beautiful. GO see Exit Glacier! You could also stop at the Alyeska resort in Girdwood.

As for downtown, I enjoyed the shopping (lots of small stores and galleries) the most! The Alaska Art & History Museum is very good. Walk down to the Captain Cook Monument and get a beautiful view of Cook Inlet. On a clear day, you can see Mt. McKinley.

Be sure and have a microbrew beer at the Glacier Bay Brewhouse. That was me and my coworkers' favorite restaurant!
May 25th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi ChristieP,
Thanks for the info. I did see some of your responses in other topics. I'm learning alot from this WEB site. I did call some of the larger supermarket chains there and found that they do not sell Moose or Buffalo. I will have to find a specialty butcher who (HOPEFULLY) takes American Express. I know it will be expensive and do not have the cash for this stuff (I get per diem from my company). I once find a butcher in New Jersey who sold Buffalo Filets at $29.99 per pound. I bought a $5.00 taste.
Thanks again.
May 25th, 2004, 10:42 PM

Get their visitor guide www.anchorage.net
plenty to do. but consider heading out on the weekends- you can't do much basing in Anchorage. Head north to Talkeetna, south to Homer or Seward.
May 26th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Anyone ever try any specialty meats up there, like Moose? Will I be able to purchase some for cooking?
May 26th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Also, how are the food prices there? Anyone ever stroll into a Supermarket up there? I know that when I was in Los Angeles, a dozen eggs could cost up to $3.50. Here is Pennsylvania, eggs are .69 cents.
May 26th, 2004, 05:56 AM
KMK

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can purchase moose in Alaska, because it is not farm raised. I know we tried when we visited a few years ago, but were not able to find any, and this was the explanation we were given.

However, if you find a local who has moose meat (from hunting), you may be able to 'trade' for the meat.

I have purchased exotic meats (for example, from Seattle's finest exotic meats www.exoticmeats.com) for parties in the past, and have never come across anyone selling moose - have found caribou (yummy), camel, giraffe, alligator, elk, kangaroo (ick), lion (never tried), and many others - but never moose.
May 26th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Do they all taste like Chicken? haha...

I heard that some of the restaurants sell Moose Burgers. I'd rather cook it myself, but is it worth trying?
May 26th, 2004, 10:00 AM

I was just in Carrs (Safeway) and Fred Meyer. Food costs are high- produce at least double, 12 pack soda $5. so budget fully. I have never encountered moose burgers. Plenty of Raindeer Sausage. But contact Indian Valley Meats. I eat at the Indian house on Turnagain Arm and have seen it. http://indianvalleymeats.com/
May 26th, 2004, 11:59 AM

In preparation for my first trip to Alaska in June, I'm relying heavily on the Lonely Planet Alaska guidebook. Here are the Anchorage "Highlights" as listed there:
1. Hear ancient Alaskan songs, once thought lost forever, performed at the Alaska Native Heritage Center.
2. Rent a bike and enjoy the views of Cook Inelt from the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail.
3. Stop in for a quick bite or a three-day hike in gorgeous and gourmet Girdwood, home to two terrific trams.
4. Laugh at Alaskans making fun of Spam and themselves at Mr Whitekeys' Fly by Night Club (reservations a must).
5. Check out the ice and iceworms at Portage Glacier's Begich-Boggs Visitor Center.
6. Visit a historic gold mine in a beautiful setting at Hatcher Pass.

Other points of interest mentioned in the book:
1. Anchorage Museum of History and Art ("among Alaska's cultural crown jewels").
2. The Alaska Native Medical Center "has a simply fantastic collection of Native art and artifacts."

Seward has been recommended by several posters. If you go there overnight, take a Kenai Fjords glacier and wildlife cruise, visit the Alaska SeaLife Center, drive to Exit Glacier, visit the Seward Museum, and eat at Ray's Waterfront ("gets more gushing reader recommendations that any other business on the peninsula").
May 27th, 2004, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies. I found out some information:
"It is illegal in this state to sell moose or bear. It must be hunted or given as a gift."
I did find a place that sells Caribou (never had), Venison (not interested), Musk Ox (never had), and Buffalo (had once before). I'm very interested in trying Caribou. Once again, I will have a full kitchen in my hotel and I enjoy cooking. If anyone knows of any other exotic meats I can find in Alaska, please let me know.