anchorage itinerary

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anchorage itinerary

A friend has invited me to share a weeklong trip to Anchorage around August 7th, and I'm not sure, but am considering it. Niether of us is into hiking, camping, or backpacking, but we do enjoy tours of all kinds - boat, car, train, bus, etc. Any itinerary suggestions from you seasoned and knowledgeable travelers would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 02:09 PM

What a marvelous friend you have! Most definitely take them up on the offer! Alaska is amazing - truly the last frontier and more beautiful than you can imagine. I'm not a hiker, camper or backpacker either, but believe you me, I cried when I had to leave Anchorage many years ago. We moved there and then within 3 months the deal fell through and we had to come home. I had fallen so in love with Alaska that it truly broke my heart.

Since it's been so long since I was there, I can't be much help in the way of tours you might get involved with now, but I just wanted to urge you to GO! A rental car would be a fun way to get around - we had a vehicle to share between four couples and when we got out and drove around it was breathtaking.

Keep in mind that Anchorage is a city and has many conveniences and things to do. Not far away is the Portage Glacier, which we went to and thought was awesome. If you do a search here under Alaska or Anchorage I'm sure you'll find trip reports and other info that will help you plan your trip. Have a terrific time!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Portage Glacier has receded so much that it's hardly the best example of a glacier. However, its visitor center is excellent and you can hike onto a nearby glacier, Byron Glacier.

In addition, you can easily drive to Seward and take a six hour trip on Kenai Fjords out to a glacier, seeing all kinds of wildlife along the way. Just driving from Anchorage along Turnagain Arm to Seward is a great experience!

I really loved Anchorage and the surrounding area and would definitely take your friend up on the trip!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 06:34 PM

I had the good fortune of spending October 2002 in Anchorage for my job. I didn't have much time away from work to do too much, but I did get to go to Seward for a day and see Exit Glacier, which was AMAZING!

Anchorage itself has some great museums, such as the Alaska Art & History Museum and the Native Heritaghe Center. There are also countless tours you can do, too.

Since I was there with work, I did get to do a lot of shopping in downtown Anchorage, and eating at their wonderful restaurants. If you like fresh fish, then you will love Anchorage!

Take your friend up on the offer and GO!
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 04:18 AM

First, I would plan the trip to have a full Saturday because there are some nice events that take place on weekends. You can check the calendar of events at www.adn.com (Anchorage Daily News). About that time of year I went on a garden tour that was locally advertised. I enjoyed the Farmers Market held on Saturdays in downtown Anchorage. There's food vendors, crafts, and music as well as fresh produce. We also liked the trolley tour for a quick introduction to Anchorage. I was fascinated by all the float planes on Lake Hood. I agree that Seward and a day cruise should also be on your itinerary. You might spend a good part of the day just getting there if you make lots of stops. Go to the Sealife Center when you get to Seward. Spend the night and take an all day cruise. You'll still have time to get back to Anchorage that night. But a leisurely meal and a second night in Seward might be more sensible. The tram ride up Mt Alyeska in Girdwood is great. We also liked the Portage Glacier visitors center.
There is certainly plenty to do without camping and hiking.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the encouragement annd suggestions!