Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Getting from Denver to Vail - Best way??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 12:52 PM
jwj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Denver for a few days for a wedding in January. We have booked The Sonnenalp in Vail for 4 nights after the wedding. What is the best recommended mode to travel from Denver to Vail? One of us has a bad back and wants to fly. The other doesn't like prop planes and wants to rent a car to drive. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 01:05 PM

I'm wondering if you're kidding or if you're serious. You can drive from downtown Denver to the center of Vail in just over an hour and a half. Counting the time it would take you to get to the airport, check in, meet the time requirements, fly, it would have to be about twice that amount of time. In fact the Denver airport is about half the distance out of downtown as Vail is in the other direction. Or are there flights from another airport?
It's straight out Interstate 70. DRIVE!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Definitely do not fly. If you plan to just hang out in the town of Vail there are shuttle buses that can take you from Denver to Vail. Certainly cheaper than renting a car if you are only going to use it to get to Vail and back. Vail is fairly small and there is also free bus service that runs through the town.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 03:57 PM

I also suggest taking a shuttle bus, although they sometimes take slightly longer than driving, like 2 hours, but still not bad. You definitely don't need a car in Vail if you're staying at the Sonnenalp. You're right in the middle of everything and the bus service is great.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM
jwj
Original Poster

Thanks for all of yall's help and advice. I guess I shouldn't admit it, but, yes, I was serious. It's been 25 years since we've been to Vail and I just remember difficult driving conditions. I did find out that to take the shuttle we'd have to go back to the airport from the Hotel Monaco where we'll be for the wedding. Sounds like driving is best if weather is ok. Thanks again.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 01:16 PM

You can take CME from the airport to the Sonnenalp - coloradomountainexpress.com. I'm guessing $100+ per person roundtrip. It may be cheaper to just rent a car. I would check to make sure the Sonnenalp or Hotel Monaco doesn't charge for parking. Greyhound also runs a bus from Market Street Station (a couple blocks from Monaco) but the station and the clientele aren't exactly the Sonnenalp/Monaco type.