Amelia Island Ritz vs.B&B

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never thought I would ask such a question. My husband and I have two nights in Amelia Island this week! I just booked air. Now, I'm scrambling for lodging. Hubby will leave it up to me, but says that perhaps we should indulge in the Ritz club level. While I would normally love that, I really would like to walk around town and enjoy that. I'm leaning toward the Addison because of the great Trip Advisor reviews and the clean slightly modern look of the rooms. (I don't like Victorian looking rooms.)

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Gosh, The Addison looks lovely!

I don't know how to help you make a decision, except to say that you're right about the difference between the Ritz and the Addison: at the Ritz, you can stroll around the grounds, which include a shopping area and a couple of restaurants, and the beach of course, but you'll have to drive to Fernandina Beach; while at the Addison, you'll be right in town, which is charming.

We rented a beachfront bungalow kind of between the two and were very happy with that.

I will say that the Ritz grounds are very manicured, while FB has an authenticity to it. If you can't have walkout beachfront, I would go with the Addison.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 10:34 AM

I was just checking on my post inquiry and saw yours.

The south end of the island is the resort area - the Ritz, Amelia Island Plantation Golf, shopping, (there are 2 nice Plantation Shopping areas), beaches. It is great if you like the resort thing. They both have shuttles to Historic downtown which is on the north end of the island.

The B&B's in the historic district are all fabulous, as is the downtown - history, shopping, dining, the marina where you can take a river cruise around Amelia and Cumberland. You can also borrow a B&B bike and ride over to the beach, or Old Town, too.

I prefer the latter, but I know lots of people who love the resorts.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 12:52 PM

It really comes down to are you a town person or a beach person? If townie, go with the Addison. If beach bum, go to the Ritz.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Have the best of both worlds & stay here - www.elizabethpointelodge.com. The Ritz is, well a Ritz. Also check out www.domehealingcenter.com
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

I think I am leaning toward the Addison. If it were in the 80's I'd do the Ritz. Elizabeth Point looks gorgeous. However, it still does not allow us to walk everywhere.

One more thought. Frommer's surprisingly gave a great review to the Hampton Inn. Any thoughts on that? Of course, I don't think I'll end up doing it for this romantic get-away. However, is that a place that is good for perhaps a group of people to go to?