Search

Affinia Shelburne

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Affinia Shelburne

Hi. My wife and I are booking a last minute trip to New York for Christmas. Have been twice before and stayed at Michelangelo and Affinia 50. Bit more on a budget this time so looking for something cheaper. Can get a really good deal on affinia shelburne hotel but I know little about it or the area. What is the hotel like? Also how safe is the area at night. Will be walking back from theaters a lot - I know the distance involved and don't mind as long as it's a safe walk at that time of night.
Thanks
Martin
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 02:10 AM

Have not stayed there but worked in the area for many years.

Perfectly safe area...you are 7 blocks from Grand Central
and there are restaurants on Lexington & Third Aves.

It is 5 avenue (i.e.,longish) blocks to theatre area but
New Yorkers walk that distance all the time.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 02:34 AM

All of the tourist areas of NYC are perfectly safe - just don;t hang around the docks alone at 3 am. This are is mixed business with some residential on the side streets and I couldn;t imagine anyplace safer.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 02:54 AM

Stayed at the hotel in July of this year; area is very safe (as always use common sense). Rooms were exceptionally clean, ours had 2 baths, large living room with pullout couch, TV, large closet, bedroom with 2 beds - VERY comfortable. Some rooms have small kitchenettes. Hotel was recently remodeled and everything is fresh and clean. Front desk staff was helpful and fixed a Quikbook error without a fuss.

The only "negative" for us was that were was not a coffee maker in the room, nor was it offered in the lobby. This is an extra touch and certainly not one that is expected, just nice when it is there! There is a lively bar off the lobby but we were never bothered by noise. We would stay there again without hesitation, really enjoyed it.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 04:53 AM

Actually, this is a particularly good area for a tourist, out of the main crush of crowds but still very convenient to everything. It's been recently renovated and has a great hamburger restaurant. Jump on the deal.