Kid friendly hotels near the Walforf Astoria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to NYC in a couple of weeks for a meeting at the Waldorf Astoria. The hotel is sold out for the meeting rate and the alternate meeting rate hotel is the W New York. I've read lots of bad things now about the W. Our four year old son will be going with us, so we'd like a hotel that is kid friendly and also has rooms large enough for a king bed for us and a roll away for him. One near by option is the Marriott Eastside. Can you give recommendations for hotels within 2-4 blocks. Price range would be around $500 per night (before taxes).

Thanks

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:01 AM

Watch out for the Marriott Eastside, the rooms are not "tight" and the street noise is very bad!

If you decide to stay there, request a room that is not on Lexington Ave, but in the back of the building near the alley.

The staff is friendly and helpful, but there isn't too much they can do about the noise other than keep moving you around. Also, we had a horrible experience with poor drainage in the tub. I'll spare you the disgusting details, but they gladly refunded all of our reward points when they realized they could not solve the problem. Housekeeping should have reported the problem so that it could have been dealt with.

In fact, now that I've typed all of this info, for $500 I would certainly go somewhere else!
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 08:03 AM

Every hotel in NYC gets street noise - since there's siply so much of it. for example the commercial carters (trash pick up) are required to pick up in the middle of the night - with all that crasing and grinding - since the streets are too crowded during the day. The only way to avoid it is to stay in a highrise hotel on a top floor - by 30 stories or so up you don't really notice it.

Do not do the W - they typically have VERY small rooms.

There aren't that many hotels THAT close to the Waldorf. but after all - 4 blocks is just a 3/4 minute walk - so you may have to go a little further. Have you tried the Affinia 50 - which I believe is all suite - good for some extra room for a child. Also- I believe there is a Doubletree not far away you may want to check. And the Grand Hyatt isn;t far - if you cut thtough Grand Central Station.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 08:07 AM

Then request a room on the 30th floor. Otherwise the windows are old and thin and you will definitely hear noise on the 20th floor.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM
sistahlou

topping this for you. no need to start a new thread. I agree that W is not a great choice.

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

folks, thanks for the replies so far and sorry for the double post.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 03:50 PM

check out the Affinia hotels; for $500, you can certainly get a suite and everyone can get a good night's sleep.

We've had great luck with several of their hotels with our 5-year old (they have several in the neighborhood where you need to be).

Mary