Aer Lingus and check-in @ Logan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are scheduled to depart Logan for Dublin on July 1 at 6 p.m. via Aer Lingus. The Aer Lingus website suggests 3 hours before departure for check-in. However, the website also provides on-line check-in and states, "Passengers travelling from the USA with Web boarding passes must present themselves at the dedicated Web check-in counter at the airport at least 45 minutes prior to their scheduled departure time."

My question then is do we really need 3 hours for clear security AND arrive at the web check-in counter on a Wednesday evening?

I frequently check-in on-line for domestic flights, NOT international... are there any additional glitches I should anticipate?

Thanks,
Julie
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM

I cannot find anything on Logan Airport's website (www.massport.com) related to your question. I arrive 2 hours ahead for international. I don't know about the 45 minute thing they're offering, but I would not feel comfortable cutting it so close because there's no way to predict the line at security. 3 hours seem excessive.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Jaya, I was referring to Aer Lingus' website, for the 45 minute web check-in desk. I am thinking (guessing) Aer Lingus has a dedicated pre-ticketed counter for luggage and check-in. I agree the "45 minute" seems too close for comfort BEFORE security thus my confusion. I agree 3 hours seems excessive.

Which leads to the next thought, if I take the MBTA silver line that gets me to terminal E @ 3:36, that seems appropriate to locating the desk, clearing security, etc. as its between excessive and reasonable ...

Julie
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM

That sounds like a good plan. Have a great trip.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM

Note that 45 minutes is the cut-off deadline for checking in for your flight. There could be a very long line. If you don't make cut-off, you won't be on the flight.

Note also that the MBTA silver line consists of surface buses and not underground subway trains. I wouldn't rely on their printed schedules.

It's always, always, always, better to have an extra hour or two at Logan than miss your flight. You just never know about lines at check-in, or how long it will take to get through security. You may not need three hours, but what will you do if you miss your flight?
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 02:12 AM

What djbooks said. Good advice.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

I have the choice of arriving at Logan via silver line @ 1:45 p.m. or 3:36 p.m. for a 6:00 p.m. departure. I don't want to miss my flight, and am also concerned about long lines but somehow 1:45 seems awfully long for time insurance.

Julie
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:14 AM

2-1/2 hours arrival before an international flight does not seem excessive to me. I'd arrive at 3:36. You can't know what might happen with traffic or something else along the way.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM

2 1/2 hours is about right for an international flight from Logan. I have waited 30 minutes to check baggage and 30 minutes at security, so it can easily be an hour or more from arrival time till you get to your gate.

my last couple of trips out of Logan, they seem to have done better with the security lines than in the past, but I haven't flown out of the international terminal in over a year.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Last August, we arrived at Logan at 3:30 for a 7PM flight with Aer Lingus. We breezed through check-in, but lines were very long later on. We had a leisurely meal at a restaurant right next to security. The lines varied from short to very, very long over the course of our meal. Of course, we got in line when there was nearly no one - but when I looked behind me as we were removing our shoes, the line was really long.

According to MBTA, silver line runs more frequently...

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...Redisplay+Time
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Having missed an international flight once for reasons I won't go into here, save yourself the hassle and get to Logan as other suggest on the early side. I've learned my lesson and now err on the side of caution. I'd rather be at the airport killing time than go through the stress of missing valuable time from my long-planned vacation again. Enjoy your upcoming trip!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 01:36 PM
yk

I also agree that arriving 3:36pm for your 6pm flight is good enough.

djkbooks - i think this is the same OP who's coming in from Syracuse; but she'll park her car at her friend's place somewhere N of Boston. So, I assume she has to take ?commuter rail from her friend's place into S Station, then change for the Silver Line. Therefore, her times are limited by commuter rail schedule, not Silver Line.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM

How early to arrive is always a crap shoot. Most times you get through security much quicker than expected, then you're sitting on the other side thinking "why did I come so early?" But, I'd rather twiddle my thumbs (or hope there are some good stores or eating spots) post security than have a heart attack that I might miss an international flight knowing that there is usually ONE departure per evening. No back up flights to take!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

YK, you are correct, this is the same "op". I realize after looking at a map N.of Boston was NOT correct for geographic location... should have checked the map first.

The current plan is to take the 2:09 Framingham Station to South Station (arrive 3:03) and transfer to SL1 Logan (depart 3:10) arrive Terminal E at 3:36...this is cutting it close imo.

Which leads to the next question...is the "transfer" obvious at South Station. I am comfortable with metros and transfers but quite unfamiliar with MBTA (obviously!) I use a small (21") wheelie for luggage and am in good health so moving quickly between lines isn't an issue PROVIDED I can find the line.

Julie
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
yk

Julie, you'll be fine.

When you arrive at South Station from commuter Rail, follow the signs for subway (down escalators). You'll arrive at the ticket area - buy a $2 Charlie ticket from the machine and go thru the turnstiles.

There are very clear signs for Silver Line/Airport. I think they may be one short flight of stairs (down), but there are elevators too if you need them.

It is very easy. I take the Silver Line (from South Station) to the Airport all the time. There are also several T employees at South Station who can help you if you have questions: 1 at the ticketing area, and 1 at the Silver Line platform.

When you come back from your trip, there are T ticket machines in the terminal where you can buy your Charlie ticket $2 to get back to South Station.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

YK is it possible to buy the charlie ticket at Framingham?

Thanks, Julie
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:47 AM
yk

The commuter rail is not pat of the Charlie system, so no, you won't be able to buy it there.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks yk, you have been very helpful in answering my pesky questions.

Julie