Amelia Island in August

Search

Amelia Island in August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amelia Island in August

Would love feedback on Ritz or Amelia Island Plantation for a family vacation in August. We are a family of (3), two adults and a 12 year old boy. Like tennis, swimming, strolling, etc. We are also open to other north Florida or SC or GA resort destinations. We prefer high-end lodging but not too $$$$$.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM

ah, Amelia Island. What they didn't say in any literature we read before our trip in 1996 or so is they have a factory on the island that stinks. I think it had (has?) something to do with cotton seed oil production. Anyway, the smell was ever present. Great little inn we stayed at, great little shops, wonderful beach area with sea turtle nests, wonderful fishing boat trip, stinky air. Be sure and ask if this matters to you. PBB
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM

I've been to Amelia Island about 30 times. The in-laws lived there for a dozen years, in an area right between the Plantation and the Ritz. I've maybe smelled the paper mill a few times in downtown Fernandina Beach, but never out by the resorts. I can't help you with the Ritz or Plantation, as we always stayed with family. We loved going to Amelia Island and miss it (although Chapel Hill ain't so bad, either, in case bobthenav sees this ).
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM

It is a paper mill and we were there quite often at various times of the year and never smelled it .. we most often got to Amelia Island by the small bridge by Talbot / Big Talbot Islands.. not the great big bridge off of 95 . ( We lived in Jacksonville)

I remember it being lovely in August .. hot and steamy but by the water it is cooler and breezy. And so many good shopping and eating possibilities ..
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
The Ritz at Amelia is one friend's very favorite vacation spot EVER!

If you go, consider taking a day trip out to Cumberland Island. It will be a memory making day

If you want a REAL splurge stay overnight (or two) at the Greyfield Inn. Escape to a (virtually) deserted barrier island but stay in the lap of luxury. The rates are all-inclusive.
http://www.greyfieldinn.com/
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Although I can't stand the idea of foul odors, this is the first I've heard of it down there. I'm more interested in how the Ritz compares to the Plantation as a summer vacation resort. I'm also wondering what the ambiance is like on the island? Spanish moss and old oak trees? Is it more Southern barrier island? Lots of wildlife?
Are there other Southern coastal resorts anyone can recommend?