Flying out of BWI on Southwest???

Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:30 AM
carolyn

Flying out of BWI on Southwest???

Has anyone done this lately? I've heard horror stories about the lines there.

The last time I flew out on Southwest was in October, I got to the airport at 6 am for a 7:30 flight, check my luggage curbside and was at the gate in 15 minutes.

I'm just trying to figure out if things have calmed down for later flights; our flight leaves at 11:20 am. They now say 1.5 hours beforehand. Do we really need to get there that early?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:48 AM
kam

In San Jose 1 1/2 hours is just about right. Figure a half hour to check in and go through security, stand in line to get your SWA number 1 hour prior to boarding, and then go get something to eat because you won't on the flight. Food service seems to have improved, at least at SJC. We now have a California Pizza Kitchen and Gordon Bierch alongside McD's. A lot depends on the airport though and I don't know BWI well.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:26 AM
Dick

Flew Southwest out of BWI a couple of weeks ago. From entering the terminal to getting to gate took only 15-20 mins.
That included checking luggage at counter and going through secruity.

As I understand, BWI is being used as a test site( for the entire country) for improving the efficiency of secutity checkpoints.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
anne

I flew out yesterday. Arrived at the terminal at 12:30 for a 2:10 PM flight and had plenty of time. Check in for luggage took 10 minutes and security another 10 (my carryon was searched). They hand out boarding passes an hour before the flight leaves but people start lining up before that time. Get in line, get your pass, then you can do last minute errands.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:07 PM
oriole

Similar report here. My son flew out of BWI on Southwest a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday. No awful delays, no long lines. We got him to the aiport 2 hours early, and that was more than enough time to check in and have a bite to eat before boarding.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
carolyn

Great news! Thanks to all who replied!

I guess we won't sweat getting there super early. I'm planning on doing curbside check-in as well. That cut down loads of time last time I flew them, it's well worth the tip to the guy outside!

Search this Thread